Forums temporarily locked down! Please read!

Author Topic: Protecting applications without kernel extension is possible  (Read 1326 times)

wesley

• Script Kiddie
    • View Profile
Protecting applications without kernel extension is possible
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »
I recently came across MacFort which has the ability to protect applications and folders with a password (the functionality which was removed from Espionage). They do this without a kernel extension, instead they intercept the application launch in some different way (their words). Is it really not possible for Espionage to do something similar?

http://www.madowsoft.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 11:00:00 PM by Guest »

zsolt

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting applications without kernel extension is poss
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Everything is possible, so your question would simply be a request for Espionage 3 to provide this functionality, correct?

Why does MacFort capable to do that I do not know, it might be that it came later, or it was not possible to provide the other functionality of Esp which MacFort does not have, withouth Kernel Ext etc.

I will file a feature request as described above.

Thanks for your input,
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

wesley

• Script Kiddie
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting applications without kernel extension is poss
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »
Thank you, yes, it's a feature request :) It was said in the past that a kernel extension was necessary and this made things more complicated whenever a new version of mac os x comes out it may fail. But it appears now that there are ways to accomplish this without any sort of kernel extension.

Thanks.