Corrupt Numbers document

Started by DaveS, July 23, 2011, 06:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveS

I had problems with accessing a protected file (a Numbers document) after installing Lion.  I could open the file, but could not lock it. Read the Forum and upgraded to Esp 12.8.13. When I tried to open the same file, a popup said the file was corrupted.  Tried to use Time Machine to recover an older version of the file and received an error code 8084.  The file has now disappeared from my Time Machine records and is not shown in Finder or Spotlight. Time Machine shows that within the protected folder there are three sub-folders: 1) contains encrip data, 2) controlled by Esp and 3) Do not modify in this state.

When I run Esp, I can type in the password and see the folder where the file resided. I placed an old version of the file in the folder as a test and it is protected and runs when I put in my password.

Help is appreciated. Dave

greg

Hi DaveS, fyi, I've moved your reply to the Lion thread to its own topic because it seems more appropriate to dedicate a thread to this.

Quote from: "DaveS"I had problems with accessing a protected file (a Numbers document) after installing Lion.  I could open the file, but could not lock it. Read the Forum and upgraded to Esp 12.8.13. When I tried to open the same file, a popup said the file was corrupted.

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by not being able to lock the numbers document? How do you lock the numbers document and what was the error you got when you tried?

QuoteTried to use Time Machine to recover an older version of the file and received an error code 8084.

Recover the file or the encrypted folder?

QuoteThe file has now disappeared from my Time Machine records and is not shown in Finder or Spotlight. Time Machine shows that within the protected folder there are three sub-folders: 1) contains encrip data, 2) controlled by Esp and 3) Do not modify in this state.

When I run Esp, I can type in the password and see the folder where the file resided. I placed an old version of the file in the folder as a test and it is protected and runs when I put in my password.

Help is appreciated. Dave

You may find the instructions for restoring from Time Machine are available in Espionage's help documentation to be helpful:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... chine.html
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

DaveS

I could not lock the folder.

Followed the directions - I quit the Numbers program, ran iVisible and disabled the folder (the folder has the little arrow on the bottom).  The MISSING file was still not shown in the folder.  The OLD file I subsequently placed in the same folder is always visible.  I ran Time Mach and the Restore option was not highlighted when I selected the folder or the OLD file . Time Mach works for other files I select.

Thanks
Dave

DaveS

Can I get some tech support on my latest posting?

Thanks

Dave

greg

Sorry Dave, our notification system apparently is being flaky again.

Could you elaborate on what the "MISSING file" is? Is this the Numbers document? You see, what we're looking to restore is an invisible disk image file, and so I want to be sure we're both understanding each other. This is a complexity of Espionage that we're going to get rid of, but at the moment we have to live with it and so it must be understood.

If you could have a look at this document on how Espionage works internally (it is short), I think it will help us to understand your situation better, and may help you describe what you're seeing better to us:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... kings.html

It's the invisible disk image file that needs to be restored. These two documents talk about that:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... oring.html
http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... chine.html
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

DaveS

Thanks.  I had gone through the reference materials previously.  To revisit - When trying to run Esp after loading Lion, I got a "corrupted file" message. I could not see the OLD Numbers file in the protected folder.  After running iVisible, I still did not see the file.  No where to be found.

I just repeated the quitting Numbers, ran the process of disabling Esp for the folder and ran Time Mach. I see in the folder for the time frame where the OLD file existed before Lion the following three folders" with nothing to be read in them:

This folder ....... encrypted data
It is controlled  .... y Espionage
Do not modify ..... in this stae.

Any suggestions as to where to look?

mike

Hi Dave,

You won't see the Number documents because the folder is encrypted (no files will be shown until it is decrypted) and Time Machine backs up the folder at any given time, so it can be either decrypted or encrypted.

Restoring the folder or disabling Espionage for the specific folder does not change this for any of the old backups in Time Machine. When you see the "This folder..encrypted data", this means the folder is encrypted. You can tell Time Machine to restore to that folder and then drag that folder into the unlocked Espionage app. Espionage will then decrypt the folder for you and you should be able to see your old files normally in Finder.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

DaveS

I tried all these remedies and none worked. The OLD file is not found in Time Mach and when I tried Recover with the three Esp folders that I described above, I now have lost the NEW file.

I know next time to turn your software off when upgrading my OS.

Thanks for trying to help.

Dave

mike

Quote from: "DaveS"I tried all these remedies and none worked. The OLD file is not found in Time Mach and when I tried Recover with the three Esp folders that I described above, I now have lost the NEW file.

I know next time to turn your software off when upgrading my OS.

Thanks for trying to help.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work. I didn't realize that you have already created a new file and should've ask you to back it up before restoring.

I recommend using Espionage to back up your folders in addition to using Time Machine. This would ensure at least two copies you can try in the future.  For more information, please read our guide here.

I'm sorry that we couldn't be of any help here in restoring your file. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!