espionage2 works on Maverick (sort of)

Started by m661, October 23, 2013, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m661

Just want to give a heads up that force quiting the espionage helper after opening espionage2 itself results in perfectly working program with the ability to mount unmount and encrypt, decrypt folders files. I would not recommend to stick with it for longer than you have to but it is possible to get all your data back without having to resort to back ups. In short your not screwed if you did install mavericks before uninstalling espionage2

To the developers next time you might want to check if your program works as intended with a gold master copy as warning people almost a entire day after the release of a upgrade is a really bad call.

greg

Thanks for the post m661!

Quote from: m661 on October 23, 2013, 10:24:05 AMTo the developers next time you might want to check if your program works as intended with a gold master copy as warning people almost a entire day after the release of a upgrade is a really bad call.

You're absolutely right, we failed big time on this one, and there is no acceptable excuse for that. My apologies!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

m661

Glad to see a official reaction on this thanks Greg. Aslong as a lesson is taken from it is never a loss except for time mostly.

I have noticed that espionage2 behaves after a force quit for a good 6 to 8 hours. Still any chance of a last fix for v2 to atleast provide  customers a way out without having to dabble into activity monitor? Maybe with a nice big warning that further use on Mavericks is not supported.

Also you might want to edit the blog as it mentions about the appstore version of espionage implying that the 15% discount is on the appstore instead. As the blog post notifying people is older than the current post. (https://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2012/06/mac-app-store-failure/

Might confuse people that do not know there is no global discount method on the appstore (except the limited 50 promo codes per version offered by Apple)

tylerstringer

How can I force quit ESPIONAGE HELPER?  I have stuff in 2 but upgraded BEFORE getting the email that I need to get 3.0.  Now I have 2.0 folders in limbo...

m661

Go to the applications folder and open Utilities. From there open Activity Monitor.
You will see several tabs, click on CPU. Go to the search bar on the right of the Activity Monitor (field with loop glass icon)
Type Espionage in this field and the results should be reduced to one entry.
Select this entry by left clicking on it and click on the button with a X in it.
It will ask you if you are sure you want to end this process. Choose Force Quit instead of the regular Quit at this stage.

After this restart Espionage2 by opening it from your application folder.
Enter your master key in the popup of Espionage2 as you woul normaly.
Depending on your system it can take a while as it is generating a lot of errors.

When it is finaly loaded proceed to unlock an decrypt your folders one by one. after you have confirmed that all folders are decrypted move them out of there regular folder for safekeeping.

Press the minus button at each folder you have encrypted or is interacting with espionage2 at the current time.
Than proceed to move your cursor to the application bar at the top of your screen and select Espionage. Select uninstall from the dropdown menu and follow any further instructions.

Incase you can not uninstall Espionage2 from this menu do not go around deleting things yourself ask support at https://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/support/contact/#contactform
https://www.taoeffect.com/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/strike.gif

(power users be sure to clean Console user diagnostics up. It gets really messy)

The above information is rendered obsolete please use the guide attached in this message.

Admin edit: I love you guys. Thanks m661 for making this guide!  :)

We're preparing an official guide right now (based on the info we've received from customers). We'll post it to this forum tomorrow (October 25th, 2013) Saturday (October 26, 2013) and make it a "sticky". Keep an eye out for it!

Edit2: We discovered some insane Mavericks behavior that held up the guide. Sorry! It should be up on the 26th (evening).

Edit3: Here it is, please follow the official guide: https://www.taoeffect.com/forum/index.php?topic=2726.0

dave_hirsch

Note that you can only see that guide if you are registered on the forum.  Guests do not see it, which is suboptimal.

Admin note: Thank you pointing that out dave_hirsch! I quite agree, and love your word choice. I've updated the permissions so that guests can view attachments (hopefully).

dave_hirsch

I upgraded to Mavericks, right before I got the "Don't upgrade" email.  I followed these instructions, but without success.  I can run the Espionage 2 program, but I don't see any window.

Is there any way to manually decrypt the folders using my chosen password and Terminal?

dave_hirsch

Just figured it out.  I had an alias to a file inside the encrypted folder.  After killing the EspionageHelper app (which was much harder than your guide said, because launchd had it set to "keep alive" status.  I found the launchd plist and deleted that, then I could kill it), I clicked the alias, and then Finder asked me for my password for the sparseimage.  Voilá: my data!

greg

Dear Dave,

Quote from: dave_hirsch on October 24, 2013, 03:42:16 PM
Just figured it out.

Glad to hear you got it working!

We're preparing an official guide right now, and more info about what happened in your case would help us help others. Could you help us out? We'd like to post it tomorrow. :)

When you said, "I don't see any window", does that mean that after killing EspionageHelper and then opening Espionage it would not show the main window (with the black password prompt)?

QuoteI had an alias to a file inside the encrypted folder.  After killing the EspionageHelper app (which was much harder than your guide said, because launchd had it set to "keep alive" status.  I found the launchd plist and deleted that, then I could kill it), I clicked the alias, and then Finder asked me for my password for the sparseimage.  Voilá: my data!

Wow, so am I understanding correctly, you had an alias to a file (inside of the encrypted folder), outside of the encrypted folder? Then after stopping the helper (via a method that we don't expect most users to follow), you double-clicked on the alias file and were prompted to enter the password for the disk image? Am I correctly understanding up to this point?

If so, what happened next? I'm guessing that the disk image mounted, and the file opened? Did you see the encrypted volume on your Desktop, and if not, did you use something like iVisible to make it visible? Were you able to get to your other files?

greg

Apologies, we discovered a very crazy bug in Mavericks (where it refuses to accept changes to preference values) that held up the guide. It will be posted tomorrow evening.

greg