Evernote?!? and general backup Sync Question

Started by Chimp, March 18, 2012, 02:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimp

Hey guys, this is awesome. I'm really really close to buying this software and suggesting it to all my employees and friends.

It leaves me with two questions:

QuoteLooks like we've been able to setup Espionage 2.8.8 with Evernote

This is what greg (admin?) wrote about the encrypting of Evernote. Can you explain what it means? How will we be able to encrypt Evernote now? And this is just locally for my files on my mac.

So I'm wondering, if I create LOCAL NOTEBOOKS in my Evernote (meaning they don't sync to the cloud), then encrypt my evernote file with Espionage and then backup that encrypted, local Espionage file with dropbox or a better cloud backup service will all work out so my notes are a) backed up in the cloud (minus the syncinc to iphone) and b) encrypted?

This leads me to my second question:

Can I select ALL Espionage encrypted files to be synced and backed up with my cloud service like crashplan or spideroak?
For example, the evernote case, I encrypt evernote but I have my spideroak set up to constantly backup my evernote files in the cloud. Will this go hand in hand with the encryption? What complications are there? The entire process is a haze of confusion, please clarify!!!!

THANK YOU

Chimp

zsolt

Dear Chimp, your post is rather long with many questions, but here is what I would say:
- once you understand how Espionage works, you will probably get answers to all your questions, and will be able to test safely to see if it works for you.
If you add a folder to Espionage (you cannot add files, just folders), what Espionage does is:
- it creates a sparse bundle encrypted disk image (just as you could with Disk utility), with the password you provide
- copies the content of the folder you added into that disk image
- moves the original folder into the trash
--------
There is a background process called Espionage Helper (plus a low lever device drive called iSpy) which monitor for activity on the folders protected by Espionage
- if espionage detects a request for the protected folder, it will pop up a window for password, you provide it, it mounts the disk image and creates a symlink to the folder, and the access to the folder is then granted
- another variation of the same thing is when you create an application association for the particular folder. In that case, the background processes will not only react on access attempt, but also on application launch attempt. So if you protect a folder, and add Evernote as application association, then whenever you start Evernote, the background process will detect this, prompt for folder unlock, and once correct password is provided, it will allow the application to finish launching.
- finally we come to application protection, or application templates: these are nothing else then a predefined list of folders. So if you say, want to protect Apple Mail, then the Library/Mail folders will be automatically added to the Espionage.

I hope it was clear so far.

So, first of all, if you want absolute control on every detail, do not use the templates, ie. do not protect the application instead select the folders on your own, of course, you must know what you are doing.
Second, at first step, do not use application association, instead before launching the application, unlock the folders manually.

So if upon defining the folders by hand, and unlocking the folders by hand, you manage to start the application successfully, and it works without a glitch, then we are on a good track. Test it for a while. Once sure all is fine. Add to all of the folder you tested with, the application association for application you tested with.

Then test again, the only difference to the previous stage is that you will not need to unlock the folders by hand.

###############

Finally there is one more point: if the Espionage app is open, i.e. you opened it by providing the master password, you will not be asked for password for each folder you protected. If it is not open, then you will be asked......

So I guess you have now all the info to start testing. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. If you encounter an anomaly then let me know and we will try to figure out what went wrong.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support