I have run out of disc space

Started by sawxray, September 09, 2010, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawxray

I have been using Espionage for approximately four months, and find it easy to use, with two problems. The first is the most pressing:

I am almost out of disc space.

I use Espionage for one program, namely DevonThink Pro, which contains most of my data. I use Espionage to encrypt the database folder, which contains six databases. I also use the backup function of Espionage, utilizing 'Enable Automatic Backup...'. I then use TM to backup my entire HD to a RAID NAS, and use an off-site cloud storage/backup system (iDrive) just in case of fire, theft, etc.

Tonight I found that my HD is almost full. I used Grand Perspective to check on what files are occupying my HD and found the two largest are:

Documents/My Data/Computer/Mac/.DEVONthink Pro Office Data.sparsebundle
Documents/My Data/Computer/Mac/EspionageBackups/Scott/-1732614186/DEVONthink Pro Office Data.sparsebundle

I do not understand the process in great detail, but the two files listed take up almost 55 GB of my HD.

How can I work around this?

Also a smaller issue is that whenever I close this program, I get an error that backups failed (error 15, I believe). If I then run backup again, it succeeds.

Thanks for any advice.

greg

Quote from: "sawxray"How can I work around this?

I see two possibilities to consider:

• The sparsebundle might need to be compacted.
  • You might want to tell Espionage to backup to an external drive instead of to the same drive. This will make your backups more reliable too (what if you HDD crashes?)

QuoteAlso a smaller issue is that whenever I close this program, I get an error that backups failed (error 15, I believe). If I then run backup again, it succeeds.

We'll need to see the exact error message from the system log from rsync to understand what's wrong.

You can watch this video to see how to get that message, or download and run this diagnostic tool (and be sure to mention in it this thread if you do).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

sawxray

I just reproduced the error. From the console:

9/15/10 10:41:50 AM   com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper[309]   rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
9/15/10 10:41:50 AM   EspionageHelper[309]   INFO: Posted alert message: Got error 23 backing up 'DEVONthink Pro Office Data'.

It's recommended to re-run backups for this folder to ensure backup integrity.
9/15/10 10:41:51 AM   /usr/bin/rsync[36339]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/15/10 10:41:53 AM   /usr/bin/rsync[36339]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/15/10 10:42:00 AM   [0x0-0x4b84b8].com.apple.systemevents[36342]   com.apple.FolderActions.enabled: Already loaded
9/15/10 10:42:03 AM   System Events[36342]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
   /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
9/15/10 10:42:03 AM   [0x0-0x4b84b8].com.apple.systemevents[36342]   System Events: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
9/15/10 10:42:03 AM   Espionage[36340]   Initializer-based scripting additions have been deprecated. Please update this addition: "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax"
9/15/10 10:42:10 AM   TextExpander[333]   Secure event input has been enabled by: Espionage
9/15/10 10:42:16 AM   Console[36348]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
   /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
9/15/10 10:42:16 AM   [0x0-0x4b94b9].com.apple.Console[36348]   Console: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
9/15/10 10:42:21 AM   com.apple.backupd[36278]   Deleted backup /Volumes/Backup of Mars/Backups.backupdb/Macintosh/2010-09-13-230303: 26.01 GB now available
9/15/10 10:43:20 AM   com.apple.backupd[36278]   Deleted backup /Volumes/Backup of Mars/Backups.backupdb/Macintosh/2010-09-13-222219: 26.01 GB now available

Is this helpful?

Thanks

greg

That seems to be a problem unrelated to disk space. I would try deleting the contents of the EspionageBackups directory and starting the backups over.

sawxray

I deleted the prior backup files. I then started and completed a new backup. I then got the same error:

9/15/10 2:44:32 PM   Espionage[37518]   Initializer-based scripting additions have been deprecated. Please update this addition: "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax"
9/15/10 2:44:48 PM   Console[37525]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
9/15/10 2:44:48 PM   [0x0-0x4fd4fd].com.apple.Console[37525]   Console: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.

What shall I try next?

Thanks

greg

Hmm.. that list of entries contains no errors from Espionage relevant to this problem, the only line related to Espionage there is a message from the Adobe Unit Types.osax scripting addition, which seems like it was improperly setup by Adobe.

Try initiating the backup again, if it doesn't work look for log entries related to the problem, including anything from "rsync".

You may also want to try the BatChmod utility to remove ACLs and make the EspionageBackups directory readable, writable, and executable to all users (and all subdirectories).

sawxray

I let everything else settle, and then with nothing going on I opened the Console, and tried the backup from the menu. I got the following:

9/15/10 4:17:30 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[37856]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/15/10 4:17:32 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[37856]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/15/10 4:17:33 PM   com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper[309]   rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/Volumes/Archive/EspionageBackups/Scott/-1732614186/DEVONthink Pro Office Data/.DEVONthink Pro Office Data.sparsebundle/bands/461": Permission denied (13)
9/15/10 4:18:02 PM   Console[37857]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
9/15/10 4:18:02 PM   [0x0-0x50e50e].com.apple.Console[37857]   Console: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
9/15/10 4:18:37 PM   com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[236]   (com.apple.AddressBook.abd) The following job tried to hijack the service "com.apple.AddressBook.abd" from this job: [0x0-0x50f50f].com.apple.AddressBook.abd
9/15/10 4:19:27 PM   com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper[309]   rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
9/15/10 4:19:27 PM   EspionageHelper[309]   INFO: Posted alert message: Got error 23 backing up 'DEVONthink Pro Office Data'.

9/15/10 4:19:27 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[37889]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/15/10 4:19:28 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[37889]   setting security information: Operation not permitted

I am fairly confident this is related to the backup effort. Does this help?

greg

Yes, that does help! The solution will likely involve changing the settings that Espionage passes to rsync. Try the following:

• Open Espionage, unlock it, and open Espionage's preferences
  • Click the "Stop" button to turn off Espionage's helper (you'll need to quit all encrypted apps and close all encrypted documents first)
  • Delete the EspionageBackups folder again
  • Open up the Terminal application (use Spotlight to find it), and copy/paste the following into it and then press return:
    defaults write com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper TERsyncOptions "-aE --delete --delete-after --no-p --no-g"
  • Open Espionage's preferences again, and this time click "Start" to start Espionage's helper

Then initiate the backup again using Espionage's global menu item in the menubar.

sawxray

I am no longer getting the error messages-hooray!

Unfortunately, I am no longer getting the Growl messages that backup completed successfully.

greg

Quote from: "sawxray"Unfortunately, I am no longer getting the Growl messages that backup completed successfully.

Odd, check whether the backup finishes via the global menu item. When you click on "Backup Now" it will gray out and say the names of folders that are currently being backed up, and once it's finished it will turn back into "Backup Now", no longer grayed out.

See if that happens and let us know. Also, check to make sure that you haven't disabled info notifications in Espionage's notification preferences (that would cause the notification to not appear).

sawxray

Sorry-getting the error messages frequently again. Console with the last:

9/20/10 3:32:08 PM   com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper[38399]   rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
9/20/10 3:32:08 PM   EspionageHelper[38399]   INFO: Posted alert message: Got error 23 backing up 'DEVONthink Pro Office Data'.

9/20/10 3:32:08 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[53223]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/20/10 3:32:09 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[53223]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
9/20/10 3:32:24 PM   com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[236]   (com.apple.AddressBook.abd) The following job tried to hijack the service "com.apple.AddressBook.abd" from this job: [0x0-0x797797].com.apple.AddressBook.abd
9/20/10 3:32:47 PM   [0x0-0x798798].com.apple.Console[53225]   Console: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
9/20/10 3:32:47 PM   Console[53225]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:

As to your previous, yes, the 'Backup' menu items grayed out, and when they returned to black there was no Growl announcement. Preferences are set to show these announcements.

Thanks

greg

Quote from: "sawxray"Sorry-getting the error messages frequently again. Console with the last:

It seems like not all of the log was captured again. Usually rsync will specify exactly which files were at fault, and those lines seem to be missing from that report here. Try again and filter the results for 'rsync', and copy everything that's there.

QuoteAs to your previous, yes, the 'Backup' menu items grayed out, and when they returned to black there was no Growl announcement. Preferences are set to show these announcements.

Try either switching to Espionage's built-in notifications, or double-check your Growl preferences for Espionage. It could be the case that one of the notifications is disabled in Growl.

sawxray

When I open Espionage preferences and go to 'Notifications', I have both boxes checked. I tried a backup and get no notification.

If I uncheck the Growl notifications, and do a backup, I get a notification.

If I uncheck the internal notifications, I do not get a Growl notification.

Under the Growl preferences, I have both Espionage and Espionage Helper checked.

Thoughts?

greg

Quote from: "sawxray"When I open Espionage preferences and go to 'Notifications', I have both boxes checked. I tried a backup and get no notification.

If I uncheck the Growl notifications, and do a backup, I get a notification.

OK.

QuoteIf I uncheck the internal notifications, I do not get a Growl notification.

I assume you mean "if I check the box to use Growl notifications" here. It sounds like the backups are completely just fine, and that there's some problem with your Growl setup and/or installation. In the meantime, you can simply use Espionage's built-in notifications since they work.

sawxray

Error backing up again.

10/1/10 4:23:55 PM   com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper[381]   rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
10/1/10 4:23:55 PM   EspionageHelper[381]   INFO: Posted alert message: Got error 23 backing up 'DEVONthink Pro Office Data'.

10/1/10 4:23:56 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[5865]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
10/1/10 4:23:59 PM   /usr/bin/rsync[5865]   setting security information: Operation not permitted
10/1/10 4:24:05 PM   Console[5867]   Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
10/1/10 4:24:05 PM   [0x0-0xd70d7].com.apple.Console[5867]   Console:
10/1/10 4:24:05 PM   [0x0-0xd70d7].com.apple.Console[5867]   OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
10/1/10 4:24:14 PM   com.apple.backupd[5610]   No pre-backup thinning needed: 1.30 GB requested (including padding), 22.48 GB available

This is not going to work for me. If I don't know that my backups are available, I could lose ALL my data. The 'sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't' approach is NOT backup (at least not reliable backup).

If there is a chance to fix this, please let me know. Otherwise, please be considerate and don't allow me to risk all my data. I will just not encrypt with Espionage.

Thank you for your consideration.

SW