Restoring Dropbox folders in Finder sidebar

Started by minorjive, August 07, 2011, 07:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minorjive

I'm pleased to have successfully set up Espionage encryption on my Dropbox folder. But I'm now encountering a small inconvenience that I'd love to fix.

I keep my main Dropbox folder and one of its subfolders in my Finder sidebar because of how frequently I need to access files in those folders. It seems that when Espionage locks the Vault folder inside of which the Dropbox folder now sits, the Dropbox folder and its subfolder disappear from my Finder sidebar. If I want them there again, I have to manually add them after I unlock the Vault folder.

I like the idea of those folders disappearing when they are locked. But I would really love it if they could automagically re-appear where they were in the Finder sidebar each time I unlock the Vault folder.

Anyway to accomplish this now? If not, is it a feature you might be able to implement?

mike

Hi minorjive,

This is  part of the encryption process, the folder is deleted when you unlock and in its place, an alias ("virtual folder") is created to point to an encrypted disk image. When you tell Espionage to lock it, the alias is deleted and a new folder is created with the encrypted disk image stored within it. This is why it keeps disappearing off the sidebar.

There isn't a feasible way to force Finder to re-add the Dropbox folder on the sidebar. We'll look into finding a better way to work with protected folders on the sidebar. Right now, the easiest way is to go to the Documents folder first since Dropbox is always stored in there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

minorjive

Thanks for the explanation, Mike. I had a feeling I might be trading off that convenience for security, which I can live with. I'll be delighted if you come up with an approach to protected folders in the sidebar in future releases.

mike

Thanks for understanding and you're welcome. It'd definitely be nice if we can support this, it'd make it a lot simpler to manage the folders as I like to drag and drop on the sidebar.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!