Sparsebundle contents not showing in finder/terminal - Lost?

Started by benhaines, November 30, 2010, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhaines

I'm praying someone can help me :)

I've successfully unlocked my two encrypted folders, but cannot see the original files in neither finder or terminal. Oddly terminal does show up a bunch of hidden directories:

0 drwx------@ 9 benhaines  staff     374  1 Dec 07:02 .
   0 drwxrwxrwx  6 benhaines  admin     204  1 Dec 07:02 ..
  16 -rw-------@ 1 benhaines  staff    6148  1 Dec 07:02 .DS_Store
   0 drwx------  3 benhaines  staff     102  1 Dec 07:02 .Spotlight-V100
   0 drwxrwxrwt@ 3 benhaines  staff     102  1 Dec 07:02 .Trashes
1016 -rw-r--r--  1 benhaines  staff  517971 30 Jul  2009 .VolumeIcon.icns
   0 drwx------  3 benhaines  staff     102  1 Dec 07:02 .fseventsd

Odd too is the fact that if I check the mounted sparsebundles in Disk Utility is shows me a number of files, although I fear these aren't the original files, but rather the many files in the Spotlight-V100 folder.

I haven't needed access to my files in a while so I haven't checked them in at least a couple of months. Also I'm pretty confident that Espionage has had the odd update here and there since I last opened the encrypted folders/sparsbundles.

Any ideas where my original files have gone AND how this could have happened?

Thanks, Ben

greg

Quote from: "benhaines"Any ideas where my original files have gone AND how this could have happened?

Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben, unfortunately I cannot say where they are without knowing the whole story of what happened, as there are a million (perhaps more ;)) possibilities.

From what you copy/pasted it looks like you're showing a listing of what's inside the encrypted folder. The files listed are standard files created inside of disk images by the system (for things like Spotlight's search index, etc.). Indeed it looks like the folder's empty other than that. What could have caused the files to be deleted I don't know, again, there are all kinds of possibilities, but usually files disappear for good reason (they were deleted by the user, perhaps inadvertently, or by some program).

If you kept backups of the encrypted folder you can attempt to restore from it. If it helps, Espionage's manual has extensive documentation on restoring from various backup methods.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

benhaines

Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have managed to retrieve the right sparebundles from a TimeMachine backup.

So it seems likely that some app/process triggered a reset of the sparsebundles (not sure if that is possible). Filenames matched and espionage seemed to know about them.

Live and learn ;)

Regards, Ben