Uninstalling Espionage

Started by timb02, October 18, 2010, 02:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timb02

I purchased a new IMAC I7 and moved my old IMAC info across to my new one.  I was able to get Espionage to work though support here but a new problem had come up.  When trying to use Spotlight the system would have a Kernel Panic.  Apple support told me to uninstall the two apps causing the problem in the log and reinstall them.  Well I can't uninstall Espionage.  It starts to uninstall then states that it cannot completely uninstall.  So I still get the Kernel Panic crashes.  After the crash when I power down and back up, there is a line listed on top "com.taoeffect.ispy.kext   2.0.1", still.  Can't find where that is and when I tried to reinstall Espionage, hoping to uninstall again.  I only get the opened Icon on the toolbar but no window.  Can't get in, can't get rid of everything.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

greg

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear of the trouble, you can manually uninstall Espionage by moving these files to the Trash and then restarting your computer:

• /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
  • /Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
  • /Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
  • /System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
  • /Library/iSpy
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
  • /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

f8nter

Hi,

I accidentally clicked the wrong button and protected my iPhoto.

1) If I "unprotect" it by selecting the "minus (-)" icon at the bottom, does that mean everything will be restored back to normal without any loss of data etc?
2) A message saying the original folder was moved to Trash appeared when it was successfully protected. If I secure empty the Trash now, does that mean my iPhoto data will be lost?

Thanks!

greg

Quote from: "f8nter"1) If I "unprotect" it by selecting the "minus (-)" icon at the bottom, does that mean everything will be restored back to normal without any loss of data etc?

Yup.

Quote2) A message saying the original folder was moved to Trash appeared when it was successfully protected. If I secure empty the Trash now, does that mean my iPhoto data will be lost?

No, it just means the original folder will be deleted. The encrypted folder is now in its place. The only ways you could lose all your data are if you forget the folder's password (and Espionage's master password), or if the encrypted folder gets corrupted and you did not keep any backups.

f8nter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Im sorry but perhaps I wasnt able to express myself clearly:

f8nter wrote:
1) If I "unprotect" it by selecting the "minus (-)" icon at the bottom, does that mean everything will be restored back to normal without any loss of data etc?

Yup.

2) A message saying the original folder was moved to Trash appeared when it was successfully protected. If I secure empty the Trash now, does that mean my iPhoto data will be lost?

No, it just means the original folder will be deleted. The encrypted folder is now in its place. The only ways you could lose all your data are if you forget the folder's password (and Espionage's master password), or if the encrypted folder gets corrupted and you did not keep any backups.

If I want to unistall Espionage, I have to first do 1) (click the minus button and unprotect it). However, will the original folder (which is now in the trash), be restored to its original place now? My concern is that after unprotecting the folder, this folder (which was espionage encrypted) will be deleted, but the original folder (which was shifted to the trash) wont be restored. So if I secure empty trash now, both the original and the new folders will both be in the trash and thus both will be lost...

Thanks

greg

Quote from: "f8nter"If I want to unistall Espionage, I have to first do 1) (click the minus button and unprotect it).

That is not necessary, you should use Espionage's built-in uninstaller (from the Espionage menu) to uninstall Espionage. It will decrypt all encrypted folders.

QuoteHowever, will the original folder (which is now in the trash), be restored to its original place now?

It will remain in the Trash.

QuoteMy concern is that after unprotecting the folder, this folder (which was espionage encrypted) will be deleted, but the original folder (which was shifted to the trash) wont be restored. So if I secure empty trash now, both the original and the new folders will both be in the trash and thus both will be lost...

Again, this is not what happens. The encrypted folder is restored (meaning, decrypted), and so everything will be back to the way it was. Whether you emptied the Trash and deleted the original folder has no bearing on it.