Different Unlock behavior for Parallels VM?

Started by jaylindell, November 12, 2010, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaylindell

I dragged a Parallels virtual machine (.pvm file) into Espionage. It is 28GB. After a while, it successfully created the encrypted version. I deleted the original (trashed) item.

What I usually do for my other encrypted files -- both of which are folders -- is select them from the Espionage menu bar icon, it asks to enter my password, and it unlocks. The folder then opens. When I do the same for the .pvm file, I get NO PASSWORD PROMPT, Parallels opens and it displays a message: "The specified bundle is invalid. The bundle does not contain a valid Parallels virtual machine." Opening Espionage program, I can see that the .pvm file was not unlocked.

Yet, in that Espionage window, if I uncheck the 'Locked' box and save, the file unlocks and Parallels doesn't open. I can then open Parallels and it sees the .pvm, as one would expect.

At first I thought that it was launching Parallels because it was a Parallels file and not a folder. But if that was the case, why wouldn't it do the same from within the Espionage window? Any ideas/experience anyone? Thanks!

greg

Hi Jaylindell,

It's not recommended to encrypt application data bundles directly, try restoring that pvm "file" and encrypt its parent folder instead. Then follow the recommendations in Espionage's documentation for encrypting application data properly and creating application associations.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

jaylindell

This works wonderfully, Greg. Thanks for the knowledge.