syncing two macs

Started by tatami, July 11, 2013, 08:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatami

I an Espionage-encrypted folder on my desktop Mac that I'd like to keep synced with my laptop. My preference would be to do so using one-way syncing with ChronoSync.

First I unlock and mount the disk images on both machines.
Then I log into my laptop with my desktop machine.
But then the mounted disk image on my laptop isn't visible from my desktop machine so I can't sync them.

Please can you tell me how to make the mounted disk image on one Mac available from other other?

Thanks.

greg

The best way to do this would actually be to do it while the folders are locked and to sync the encrypted data instead of the decrypted data.

Enable file sharing on one of the computers, and then sync the disk images. This is a very similar concept to how we recommend using Dropbox to sync Espionage 3 folders. Click that link to get a better idea, and if you still have questions let us know.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

tatami

Greg

Thanks for your helpful reply and I would have got back to you earlier but I've been away.

I'd be happy to follow you suggestion and in order to do so I wonder if you could tell me how to set up the encrypted disk on my laptop. I can copy across the original (unencrypted) folder and then encrypt it but that gives the encrypted disk a different name. Is it then safe to sync between two encrypted disks with different names?

Thanks again for your help.

greg

Quote from: tatami on July 15, 2013, 06:51:16 AMI'd be happy to follow you suggestion and in order to do so I wonder if you could tell me how to set up the encrypted disk on my laptop. I can copy across the original (unencrypted) folder and then encrypt it but that gives the encrypted disk a different name. Is it then safe to sync between two encrypted disks with different names?

I wouldn't recommend it. Please have a look at the Dropbox instructions that I linked to above, which shows how to set this up. Here's a brief summary of the idea:

1) Encrypt a folder on one machine
2) Copy the disk image to the other machine
3) Copy the password to the disk image and save it to a text file on the other machine
4) On the other machine, drag & drop the disk image onto Espionage to import it, and paste the copied password from the text file into it.
5) Choose a mount point (this is the folder where you'll access the encrypted data).

Notice that we never copy unencrypted data by doing this. This is a much more secure way of setting things up, and the disk images will have the same name.

tatami

Thank you for your help and patience, Greg. Those instructions were just what I needed and all's in order.

With best wishes.

greg