How can I recover my lost files?

Started by EspionageUser14, October 26, 2010, 12:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EspionageUser14

Hi guys.

I was using Espionage fine until I decided to encrypt the folder.
After I encrypted it my trial ran out and I uninstalled, but I finally have it again.

However, I'm not able to find those files I encrypted. I remember it saying the other folder will be sent to trash and the one protected would be hidden but I haven't seen my files since then.
Help on this topic please?

Thanks in advance

greg

Quote from: "EspionageUser14"I was using Espionage fine until I decided to encrypt the folder.
After I encrypted it my trial ran out and I uninstalled, but I finally have it again.

When you uninstall Espionage, it attempts to restore all encrypted folders, and if it fails, it gives you the encrypted disk image along with instructions on how to restore the folder with it.

On the otherhand, if it succeeded, then you should simply see your folder with all if contents as normal.

Do you recall which of these scenarios occurred, and if Espionage wasn't able to restore the folder, did you try following the instructions to manually restore from the disk image directly?

If this doesn't help, then try this:

• Open the Terminal application (located in /Applications/Utilities, or use Spotlight to find it)
  • Copy/paste this command into it and press return:
    sudo find "$HOME" -name "*sparse*" -print
  • Type in your admin password and press return (note: you won't see any characters as you type it in)
  • After it finishes, copy/paste all of the output into your reply
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

EspionageUser14

Ok so, I did what it says in the link you gave me, "Problem Restoring A Folder"

And I was able to find the files, however I can't see the disk image.
All I see is the folder empty and once I press Make Visible, it shows me the files I've been looking for.

However, I dragged them out of that folder (Which doesn't even request me a Password, it just sits there like normal) and put them into another, but once I clicked the make invisible option they disappeared again.

As to the terminal option, I do everything as it says,
(Type command, type password) and nothing happens...

Any idea why this happens with the files? I can't find the mounted disk image, and I can only see the files when I press make visible.

greg

Quote from: "EspionageUser14"Any idea why this happens with the files? I can't find the mounted disk image, and I can only see the files when I press make visible.

Without seeing what you're doing I'm afraid I can't give much advice, however I would suggest making the files visible, creating a new, empty folder on your Desktop, and then copying the files into it. You copy files by dragging them while holding down the Option key (the mouse cursor will change to have a + sign on it).

EspionageUser14

I did exactly that. Moved the files onto another folder.

However once I press the make invisble option they still remain hidden

greg

Quote from: "EspionageUser14"I did exactly that. Moved the files onto another folder.

However once I press the make invisble option they still remain hidden

OK, well, it would really help us then to see exactly what's going on, and one way you can do this is to make a screencast that shows us exactly what you're doing and send us a link to the private URL of the screencast. A site called screentoaster will let you do this. (click "Upload to ScreenToaster (High Quality)" when finished and make sure to copy the right URL). I believe they require that you register to "upload to screentoaster", however the registration is free.

Once you've done that send us an email with a link to the URL (and post to this forum letting us know you've sent it).

Alternatively, we can schedule an iChat screensharing session, but that must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance (contact us via email if you'd like to do this instead).