What does this alert mean?

Started by socrates, October 23, 2010, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socrates

Hi

Very occasionally I get this alert for some encrypted folders:

Alert!
Will not delete folder "Xxx" because it's not empty! Renamed it to "Xxx-saved"

Its not always the same folder can be a different one. "Xxx-saved" is an unencrypted folder, usually in the same location as the mounted encrypted folder. It may contain 1 or 2 items and I think remains accessible when the original folder locked.

No problems with the original encrypted folder or its data. I have been deleting "Folder-saved" without consequence

Just wondering what might be causing this and how to avoid it

greg

Hi socrates,

This happens when for some reason there are files inside of the locked folder that's being unlocked that shouldn't be there. Espionage takes steps to prevent this from happening at all, but sometimes root processes can bypass Espionage's protection and put files there. Usually this is not a problem, the files can usually simply be deleted as you've been doing, but Espionage plays safely and "saves" the files prior to unlocking the folder, because unlocking the "shell folder" requires deleting it.

The next update to Espionage, due sometime this month, will allow you to tell Espionage how to handle this situation in the advanced preferences (you'll be able to tell Espionage to simply delete the folder without posting any alerts or attempting to save any files).

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!