How to use Espionage with an External Drive?

Started by hk3ctj, December 19, 2016, 05:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hk3ctj

I need to use Espionage with an external drive. I created a folder named "EspionageImages" in that external drive. I dragged and dropped the desired encrypted folder from the external drive to the Espionage list and when the program asks I choose the path of Image Location BUT the results is a warning saying: "Error creating disk image. Failed to mount disk image, error:" (See the attached file). I need your help in order to use an external drive to encrypt a folder.

zsolt

Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

hk3ctj

No. I need more detailed instructions to use the program as I expected: with an external drive. Sorry but I need more detailed instructions.

zsolt

OK, so here it is: first a few words of explanation:
Espionage stores the protected data in encrypted disk images. When you protect a folder, the data from that folder will be copied into a disk image and the original data will be moved into trash. The original folder will remain empty after this and will be used as so called mountpoint. When you unlock the folder in Espionage, the data in the disk image will be displayed "through" this mountpoint folder.

Now, if you protect a folder on your boot drive, we will store the disk image in a predefined default folder, and the original folder will automatically become the mountpoint folder

If you protect a folder on your external drive, we will ask you where do you want to store the disk image, but again, the original folder will again become the mountpoint folder.

This all worked before Sierra, but due to bug in Sierra, if the mountpoint folder is on an external drive, the folder unlock will not work. What you have to do is to move the mountpoint folder onto your boot drive.

To do this, first move the folder itself, and after that tell Espionage that you moved the folder.

So:
- make sure folder in Espionage is locked
- take the (mountpoint) folder on the external drive and move it onto your boot drive, for example into your Documents folder
- unlock espionage
- click onto small "i" near the folder name in Espionage folder list, this will take you to the folder options window
- use the mount point drop down menu to point espionage to the folder you moved onto your internal disk

After this is done, it should start to work normally

I hope this helped

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support