Lion 10.7.2 crash with Espionage

Started by chaplin, November 25, 2011, 08:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaplin

I started to see this really nasty issue a few weeks ago, now it is getting really a problem. I am basically using Espionage to have my mail folders encrypted and nothing more. Sometimes when I start Espionage (and only when I start Espionage my system completely freezes and I get the following traces:

25.11.11 16:59:11,999 com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper: /dev/disk4             Apple_partition_scheme            
25.11.11 16:59:11,999 com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper: /dev/disk4s1           Apple_partition_map               
25.11.11 16:59:11,999 com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper: /dev/disk4s2           Apple_HFS                         /Volumes/EspionageMounts/chaplin1/3887606939/Mail Downloads
25.11.11 17:00:07,829 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x3c43c4].com.apple.mail[43977]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail", ...): Permission denied
25.11.11 17:00:07,830 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x3c43c4].com.apple.mail[43977]) Exited with code: 1
25.11.11 17:00:07,000 kernel: [iSpy.kext] WARNING (1440): timed out on (0xffffff802177cf88|18); denying pid=43977 access to: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
25.11.11 17:00:10,000 kernel: [iSpy.kext] WARNING (1440): timed out on (0xffffff80213b6788|2); denying pid=618 access to: /Users/chaplin1/Library/Mail Downloads
25.11.11 17:00:11,000 kernel: [iSpy.kext] WARNING (1440): timed out on (0xffffff801b0c1188|2); denying pid=22 access to: /Users/chaplin1/Library/Mail Downloads
25.11.11 17:00:31,000 kernel: nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2
25.11.11 17:01:04,000 kernel: nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2
25.11.11 17:01:10,000 kernel: [iSpy.kext] WARNING (1440): timed out on (0xffffff80239ca888|2); denying pid=618 access to: /Users/chaplin1/Library/Mail Downloads

My system then becomes only accessible per SSH and the only thing I can do is a shutdown which after 15 minutes has still has not completed.

I have a second little issue, but nothing compared to the crash one. I have Growl 1.3.1 on my system, but Espionage does not recognizes it, nor can it use it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

greg

Hi chaplin,

Thank you for the system log and sorry to hear of the issue!

Does this happen when you login to your user account on startup? If so, we recommend making sure that when you reboot your computer, that you uncheck the Reopen windows when logging back in checkbox that's visible with you choose "Restart..." or "Log Out..." from the Apple menu. Also, make sure that you wait until Espionage is fully running before running Mail (in other words, wait until you see its icon on the menubar and if you have any folders set to autounlock, wait until you get the messages that all folders have been autounlocked).

QuoteI have a second little issue, but nothing compared to the crash one. I have Growl 1.3.1 on my system, but Espionage does not recognizes it, nor can it use it.

The current version of Espionage is not compatible with the latest changes to Growl, so we recommend using its built-in notifications for now (you can switch to them in then General preferences in Espionage).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

chaplin

Hi Greg,

unfortunately this is not happening when starting but anytime after that, it can be hours after the last boot, there is no obvious pattern. I have only noticed that until now, iTunes was always started when this occurred. I think this is very very strange that it freezes the whole system like this, even if Mail is having issue to find its folders, it should not kill the whole OS. Do you have any other recommendations that could apply ? I could have the folders mounted at start, but this is for me the whole point of having them encrypted. Any good idea is welcome.

Cheers,
J.B.

greg

Quote from: "chaplin"Hi Greg,

unfortunately this is not happening when starting but anytime after that, it can be hours after the last boot, there is no obvious pattern. I have only noticed that until now, iTunes was always started when this occurred. I think this is very very strange that it freezes the whole system like this, even if Mail is having issue to find its folders, it should not kill the whole OS. Do you have any other recommendations that could apply ? I could have the folders mounted at start, but this is for me the whole point of having them encrypted. Any good idea is welcome.

Cheers,
J.B.

Have you switched away from Growl for notifications? Double-check that, and also check what other programs are running when you encounter the problem to see if there's some sort of pattern, it's possible that there could be a conflict between Espionage and some other program on your system. Finally, check to make sure that you're using Espionage 2.8.13.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

chaplin

I was not using Grow with Espionage anyway because I realized a few months ago that it was not compatible, so this is not the issue. I might have found something that could be related to this issue. Since 10.7.2 I have been having some issues with some apps taking too long to start, the reason is a bug in Lion with iCloud and Documents over iCloud. It could be involved in a race condition with Mail and Espionage Helper. I have deactivated Documents in iCloud and will let you know if I still see the issue. No crashes yesterday.