Got new Mac - how to manually migrate Espionage?

Started by derektom, November 07, 2011, 07:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derektom

Hello,

I have a new Mac. How do I manually migrate my Espionage setup to the new machine, without using Migration Assistant?

What files do I need to copy over, etc? Do you have any step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

I searched the manual and this forum and could not find the info I'm after.

Thanks,
Derek

greg

Quote from: "derektom"Hello,

I have a new Mac. How do I manually migrate my Espionage setup to the new machine, without using Migration Assistant?

What files do I need to copy over, etc? Do you have any step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

I searched the manual and this forum and could not find the info I'm after.

Thanks,
Derek

Hi Derek, my sincere apologies for the late response, I was in an accident and was hospitalized for a period of a few days and not able to respond to forum posts or emails.

Without using Migration Assistant we recommend installing Espionage afresh on the new computer and then copying over the individual encrypted folders. The step-by-step instructions would be something along these lines (after installing a fresh copy of Espionage on the new computer):

For each folder:

• Uncheck the Enabled checkbox for the folder and click Save Changes.
  • Use the Finder to copy the encrypted folder to the other computer via whatever means (i.e. over the network, using an intermediary USB drive, etc.)
  • On the other computer, make sure, especially if you're copying application data (like the Mail folder), that the app is not open on that computer, and that you replace or copy the encrypted folder to the same exact location on the other machine.
  • Drag the encrypted folder back into Espionage on the other machine. Espionage should recognize that the folder is "Already Encrypted". You'll need to enter the password that was originally used to encrypt the folder.
  • On the original machine, you can now re-check the Enabled checkbox for the folder in Espionage.

Be especially careful when copying over encrypted application data that: (1) the application whose encrypted data is being copied is *not running* on either machine, and (2) that its data is copied over to the same exact location on the other machine.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

derektom

Hi Greg,

No worries at all and I hope you're all better.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Best regards,
Derek