Backup unlocked folders using Chronosync

Started by L2D, July 05, 2011, 04:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L2D

Is it ok to unlock all folders then use Chronosync to do a one-directional (left to right) sync of the unencrypted files to an external harddrive?

I'd like to have unencrypted versions of my files backed up in the event that my encrypted Espionage sparsebundles get corrupted.

Thanks.
Lori

mike

Quote from: "L2D"Is it ok to unlock all folders then use Chronosync to do a one-directional (left to right) sync of the unencrypted files to an external harddrive?

I'd like to have unencrypted versions of my files backed up in the event that my encrypted Espionage sparsebundles get corrupted.

Thanks.
Lori

Hi Lori,

Yes, it is totally okay to do this. After the sync, confirm that your data is usable on the external drive.

I do recommend that you take all the steps necessary to protect the external drive, so that nobody can steal it from you. Many people think to secure their files on the computers itself but if their external drive are stolen in plain sight, there isn't anything that can prevent the thieves from doing what they want with your data since it is not encrypted or secured with a password.

Please note that Espionage can also back up your encrypted folders, this is recommended as a preventive measure against data corruption. So, in additional to using Chronosync to back up your decrypted data, you can use Espionage to back up your data to the external drives. At least this way, you'll have two copies of the data.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

L2D

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help.  I agree about your security concerns and am planning on placing the external drive containing unencrypted files in a safety deposit box.  I am already backing up using the built-in Espionage backup so I'll try adding this other method to my process.

Lori

mike

Quote from: "L2D"Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help.  I agree about your security concerns and am planning on placing the external drive containing unencrypted files in a safety deposit box.  I am already backing up using the built-in Espionage backup so I'll try adding this other method to my process.

Lori

Hi Lori,

You're absolutely welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!