Problems with unlocking on USB stick

Started by bluecyber69, April 12, 2011, 11:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecyber69

Hi All,

I'm using Espionage 2.8.10. For encrypted folders on the internal disk everything works fine, using the unlock function from the Espionage Icon. But when I try to unlock a folder on the usb stick, I do not get prompted for the password and the folder stays locked, but only on usb...

Any thoughts on this - I checked the generic thread on not showing the password prompt... didn't help.

Thanks

mike

Hi there,

I'm not sure what you have tried but can you open Espionage, unlock and then go to the Tools Menu > Ignore List. Remove Finder off this list if you see it and then try again on the USB drive. If that didn't work, can you tell me if there are any applications on that list, like Disk Mounter?
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

bluecyber69

There is no application in the Ignore List.
Unlocking the folder from the Espionage GUI works (clicking on the "Locked" checkbox) .... but while digging and trying a bit more I encountered some other problems. Not yet sure if this has to do with Espionage.
But whenever I have an encrypted folder on the USB Stick and I unlock it - after a period of time the memory stick is ejected. The log said something about usb timeout. But this only happens when espionage is "working" on the stick...
Any thoughts?

mike

That is actually not good. I do not think it could be just Espionage itself, the process of encryption/decryption can be stressful on USB thumb drives (especially low quality ones). Please back up your Espionage folders on the USB drive to your local drive or to an external drive, just in case.

Can you download our diagnostics tool and run it for us. It'll send the report to us automatically after you enter some details in it. You can download it here:
    http://www.taoeffect.com/other/TEDiagnosticTool.app.zip

Thanks!

bluecyber69

I moved to a other vendor memorystick - and now it seems to work.
I'll try with the diagnostic tool in next weeks and see if I can reproduce with the old memory stick.

As a workaround I started to have the encypted folder on the disk drive and use the backup feature. Any chance to get multiple backup profiles in the future?

Thanks
Alexander

mike

That is what I thought. I do recommend try again with Espionage but my guts are telling me that the flash drive may be dying or it just can't handle the stress of high workload being put on it by Espionage.

Can you tell me what you're trying to do with the USB stick, is it to store backups or are you using Espionage to encrypt the data on the drive? Having Espionage back up to your USB stick is much less stressful on the USB stick but if the USB stick suddenly dies, you're left out without any backups. I assume this is what you meant for multiple backup profiles, to be able to back up to different locations at the same time? Or did you meant backing up specific folders to different places?

There are other apps that can do what you're asking, there are some free apps here. You can have Espionage back up to the local drive and use the backup app to back up your backups to your USB stick.