System-wide license registration?

Started by GetCool, January 31, 2011, 12:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetCool

I purchased a lifetime license for Espionage to use on one computer.

I have two user accounts on my system for myself, one with admin access which I use only for installing software, and one standard user for everyday use (let's call them "user_admin" and "user"). I first installed Espionage as "user_admin" and ran it for the first time. I registered it by installing my license XML file while logged in as "user_admin".

I then logged in as "user" and ran Espionage under this account. To my surprise, it appeared unregistered, and required me to install my license file again under this new account. My questions are:

• First of all, is the single license that I bought only supposed to apply to one user, or to one computer?
  • If the license applies to one computer, why not make the license install to a system-wide location, rather than an individual user's folder?
  • If I added yet another user account not for myself (such as an account for a family member), would they also be able to use the same license file? Or would they technically need their own license, too? (This sort of relates to question 1.)

Thank you for your responses.

greg

Quote from: "GetCool"First of all, is the single license that I bought only supposed to apply to one user, or to one computer?

The license is for one user (human user that is, not virtual user).

QuoteIf the license applies to one computer, why not make the license install to a system-wide location, rather than an individual user's folder?

Because it's possible two humans could be using one machine on two user accounts. :D

QuoteIf I added yet another user account not for myself (such as an account for a family member), would they also be able to use the same license file? Or would they technically need their own license, too? (This sort of relates to question 1.)

They would need their own license. If you send us an email (see the bottom of the support page for the contact form link) we can send you instructions on how to upgrade your license to a family pack license if you'd like to do that instead of purchasing an additional license (for up to 5 family members).

Let me know if I can clarify anything!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

GetCool

Quote from: "greg"Let me know if I can clarify anything!

Thanks for the answers, greg.

I guess my only remaining question, then, is if I am going to use my single license on multiple accounts (all of which I am the only human user), will there be any issues?

Actually, it would be really nice if I could share the same keychain between these accounts, since I am the same user of all of them, and then I could manipulate my folders in the same way in all of my accounts. Of course, I understand if this is not possible, or just not a good security model to employ. But if you have any tips on using Espionage in this manner, please let me know.

Thanks again.

greg

Quote from: "GetCool"I guess my only remaining question, then, is if I am going to use my single license on multiple accounts (all of which I am the only human user), will there be any issues?

No, that's fine.

QuoteActually, it would be really nice if I could share the same keychain between these accounts, since I am the same user of all of them, and then I could manipulate my folders in the same way in all of my accounts. Of course, I understand if this is not possible, or just not a good security model to employ. But if you have any tips on using Espionage in this manner, please let me know.

Espionage maintains its own database and keychain on a per-user account basis.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!