Internal Components Error

Started by atheory, November 08, 2010, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atheory

Hi,

I'm getting the following on launching Espionage "Error Couldn't install internal components." Any idea as to what is causing this??

kj

greg

Hi kj,

Try this:

• Inside of your Home folder there is a Library folder, and inside of that folder is a folder called "LaunchAgents". Rename it to "LaunchAgentsOld"
  • Create a new empty folder called LaunchAgents
  • Move any files that were inside of the LaunchAgentsOld folder into the newly created LaunchAgents folder

Now try re-running Espionage and let us know if that doesn't help.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

dr.mcp

Hello,

i have the same error. I tried your suggested fix but the error is still popping up on each launch of Espsionage.app

-- dr.mcp

greg

Quote from: "dr.mcp"i have the same error. I tried your suggested fix but the error is still popping up on each launch of Espsionage.app

Could you download and run this diagnostic tool (and make sure to mention this thread in the comments in the tool before sending the report)?

greg

Thanks, we received your report. It looks like iSpy is having trouble with its installation for some reason.

Let's try manually uninstalling iSpy, but first make sure to lock all unlocked folders (you can do this from the Espionage icon in the menubar).

After you've locked all folders, trash the following files:

• /System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
  • /Library/iSpy
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
  • /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

Then restart your computer. You will probably get an error message from Espionage's helper (because iSpy has been removed). Download a copy of the latest version of Espionage from our site, mount the disk image, copy Espionage to your applications folder (replacing any existing copies), and then run Espionage again. You should be re-taken through the iSpy installer.

If you still run into problems after that, run the diagnostic tool one more time.

dr.mcp

Hi Greg,

I did as you suggested but that did not change the situation.
I can add the following:
The error has been reported by Espionage at the first start of Espionage (after replacing the existing copy by the actual one - same version - from your website).
Only after that Espionage triggers the password box to let me enter my admin password for setting up iSpy.
The information may be useful that all files/folders you suggested me to delete did exist on my MacBook.

I will send you another diagnostic report at once.

BTW: Is it save to run and use Espionage in this state?

-- dr.mcp

greg

Quote from: "dr.mcp"I did as you suggested but that did not change the situation.
I can add the following:
The error has been reported by Espionage at the first start of Espionage (after replacing the existing copy by the actual one - same version - from your website).
Only after that Espionage triggers the password box to let me enter my admin password for setting up iSpy.
The information may be useful that all files/folders you suggested me to delete did exist on my MacBook.

It sounds like you're running into an error during the install of iSpy, before you can actually see Espionage's main window, correct?

If so, can you click on the little disclosure triangle at the bottom left of the window after the install fails, and copy the details that are shown and paste them in your response?

QuoteBTW: Is it save to run and use Espionage in this state?

I am not sure how you can run Espionage if it hasn't been able to install iSpy... you'll have to elaborate in more detail what you mean. If you'd like, you can also email us screenshots of what you're seeing to give us a better idea of what's going on.

dr.mcp

Hi Greg,

oh... I am running Espionage and it seems to work as it is proposed to. Only the error message appears each time, when I launch Espionage from it Menu-Item.
I dont see what you mean by the small triangle. There is no crash at all, but only a message window.

I will post you two screen shots by personal mail:
1st showing the messagebox just after opening espionage from its menu item
2nd showing the espionage-window directly after pressing ok in the error box.

-- dr.mcp

dr.mcp

Greg, how can I send you a screen shot?

-- dr.mcp

greg

Quote from: "dr.mcp"Greg, how can I send you a screen shot?

-- dr.mcp

http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Scre ... n_Mac_OS_X

dr.mcp

Sorry I was unprecise. I Know how to take a screen shot.
To which E-Mail Adress shall I send them or how do I upload an image to the Personal Mail window in the Forum ?

greg

Quote from: "dr.mcp"Sorry I was unprecise. I Know how to take a screen shot.
To which E-Mail Adress shall I send them or how do I upload an image to the Personal Mail window in the Forum ?

You can email them to support (at this domain, not writing it to block spammers), or you can use the Upload Attachment feature of this forum.

morten

Did you find a solution to this problem? I just installed version 2.8.12 on two different Macs - and one of them, is giving me this error-message every time I open the program.
I tried all the suggested actions in this thread to no avail.

greg

Quote from: "morten"Did you find a solution to this problem? I just installed version 2.8.12 on two different Macs - and one of them, is giving me this error-message every time I open the program.
I tried all the suggested actions in this thread to no avail.

Please run this diagnostic tool on the machine with the problem after trying again. If it fails to send the report to our servers itself then it will place a zip file on your Desktop which you can then email to us (support at taoeffect dot com) and we'll have a look.

dr.mcp

Hello,
Yes, the Problem had been identified by Taoeffect in my case. It was a permission error for the folder Library/Services in my user Account (Folder was owned by root).

This was the hint to resolve the issue:

1) Open up your Library folder and locate the Services folder:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Services

2) Move the Services folder to your Trash.
3) Create an empty Services folder in the Library folder (where the one you just moved was located)
4) Move all of the files that were inside of the old Services folder (now in the Trash) into the new Services folder that you created, EXCEPT for any file that begins with "Espionage".

Dirk