List view setting doesn't stick

Started by antonio, October 28, 2010, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonio

Hi:

I have an encrypted folder on my desktop and prefer to see the contents in "list" view. When I open the folder, it always defaults to "icon" view. I can set it to be in list view, but when I close the folder and then open it again, it's back to icon view.

I additionally attempted to lock the setting under "show view options" and discovered that although the directory is in list view, the option shows the option for "always open in icon view" as opposed to matching the contents and showing "always open in list view" What is the fix for this?

Thanks,
-A

greg

Hi Antonio,

I have a folder that always opens up in List view, and it works just fine, so I'm not seeing the problem that you're seeing. With regards to the View Options, there is no checkbox to have the folder "always open in list view", only to have it always open in "icon view", and that should be unchecked.

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

antonio

Most certainly is happening on this end, but only on the desktop. Seems to be repeatable. I created a new folder, set it in list view and opened/closed the folder a dozen times or so. Then, I added it to espionage, encrypted it and the behavior went back to resetting to icon view every time the folder is opened.

Next, I locked the folder, moved it to my "user" directory and it behaves fine. Moved it back to the desktop and it goes back to icon view only. One thing I did notice....when I open the folder, the genie effect does not spring from the folder icon on the encrypted folder, but from the task bar, whereas all others do spring from the icon.

Then, one last test.....I unencrypted the affected folder and then the "list" view sticks. Espionage most certainly has an effect on this.

Can you look into this further?

Thanks,
Antonio

greg

Antonio,

I just tried this with a folder on the Desktop, and it worked there too. It's very odd, and as much as I would like to be able to help, without reproducing this on my end there is not much I can do. I would try opening other folders on your Desktop and make sure the Finder is always set in List view, and then opening the other ones. If that doesn't help, perhaps consider emailing us a link to a screencast showing the problem, and maybe we'll be able to figure something out.

Are you running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard btw?

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect

antonio

Yes, running 10.6.4. Despite trying various things, the issue persists. I'm open to someone viewing my session.

greg

Quote from: "antonio"Yes, running 10.6.4. Despite trying various things, the issue persists. I'm open to someone viewing my session.

The easiest way is to do as I mentioned in that post and send us a screencast (follow the link). Otherwise we can arrange an iChat screensharing session, but that must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance via email.