After restoring folder Firefox still wants to mount image

Started by tom, September 13, 2010, 08:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom

I encrypted the Firefox data using the application template. Then I changed my mind and restored the Firefox folders from within Espionage. Now when I start Firefox it still wants to mount the sparseimage from the trash. Despite that the Firefox folder has been restored into Application Support. How can I de-associate Firefox from the mount action?

greg

Hi tom,

That is quite odd, it's possible there is a bug somewhere preventing the association from completely disappearing. Could you reproduce the problem and upload a screenshot (or send it to our support address, referencing this thread)? It would also help if you could then send us the contents of the system log, you can do so using this utility.

After you've done that, try this to fix the problem:

• Quit Firefox
  • Restore any other folders called "Firefox" in Espionage (Espionage encrypts 2 folders for Firefox by default, if you didn't restore both then that's the problem).
  • If that wasn't it, then re-add the Firefox folder (in ~/Library/Application Support) to Espionage, but for the encryption choose "No encryption"
  • Edit the application associations for the Firefox folder and remove Firefox.
  • Remove the folder from Espionage.

If that doesn't help let us know, but be sure to download and run the utility I linked to above (and in the comments for the report please don't forget to reference this thread so that we know where the report's coming from).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

tom

Quote from: "greg"Hi tom,

That is quite odd, it's possible there is a bug somewhere preventing the association from completely disappearing. Could you reproduce the problem and upload a screenshot (or send it to our support address, referencing this thread)? It would also help if you could then send us the contents of the system log, you can do so using this utility.

Sent you the report.

Quote from: "greg"After you've done that, try this to fix the problem:

• Quit Firefox
  • Restore any other folders called "Firefox" in Espionage (Espionage encrypts 2 folders for Firefox by default, if you didn't restore both then that's the problem).
No, I did restore both folders.

Quote from: "greg"[/li]
[li] If that wasn't it, then re-add the Firefox folder (in ~/Library/Application Support) to Espionage, but for the encryption choose "No encryption"[/li]
[li] Edit the application associations for the Firefox folder and remove Firefox.[/li]
[li] Remove the folder from Espionage.[/li][/list]

Didn't work.

See attached a screen shot of the mount dialog that comes up when starting Firefox.

greg

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sending the report. Based on it this doesn't seem like it's a problem with Espionage necessarily, but could be some unrelated issue.

I'm not sure why you're seeing that prompt, but it's not brought up by Espionage (it's the standard OS X password prompt for disk images). I would recommend the following:

Check to make sure your Firefox folder is really a normal folder and also make sure you have a backup of the stuff inside of it. Then, locate this sparseimage (for which the prompt is being brought up), and delete it (you may want to make a copy of it to an external drive first, just in case). This sparseimage may be located in your Trash, in which case, empty your trash. Then restart your computer.

Hopefully that'll fix the issue.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

tom

Emptying the Trash and therefore removing the sparseimage solved the problem. Firefox is now using its proper folder in Application Support again.