Suggest: launch Espionage from the menu bar icon

Started by psl, June 25, 2010, 07:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psl

Espionage takes up space on my screen in two places: there's an icon on the menu bar, next to the Time Machne icon, and I keep a link to it on the "shelf."  I have it on the shelf because I need to launch the Espionage program from time to time and I don't want to go looking through my applications directory to find it, but it would be a lot more convenient to have a "Launch Espionage" menu item in the Espionage menu bar icon's menu, along with "Lock All Folders," "Back Up Now," etc.  I'd happily trade one extra line of menu for the space on the shelf.

greg

Thanks for the suggestion psl, but isn't it simple and fast to launch Espionage via Spotlight?
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

psl

Not really... unless you know a trick I don't, Spotlight requires mousing AND typing. . .

greg

Yeah, you can press Apple+Space to activate Spotlight so that you can launch Espionage quickly using only the keyboard. You can time it, I'd bet it's faster than mousing over to the Espionage icon in the menu bar and clicking on a menu item. :-p

Spotlight also learns commonly access items, for example to launch Firefox all I have to do is type the letter 'f' and it immediately picks Firefox as the top hit.

psl

Well, actually Command+<SP> does nothing on my machine, probably because a long time ago I disabled it after I had hit the end of the space bar with my thumb (it's a tiny space bar on the MacBook)one too many times.  But yes, I could arrange to get to Espionage merely by typing, but I find myself often mousing around trying to start Espionage.  It's just a thought -- it seemed logical that the icon on the menu bar should be able to get you to any of the Espionage services.
Best,
    Peter

greg

This has been added in 2.8.5.

psl

I noticed.  Thanks, guys!