Blacklist/Whitelist Finder Alternative?

Started by torgobob, August 13, 2010, 10:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgobob

I regularly find myself canceling out unlock prompts when navigating various folders in the Finder.  It appears the primary reason has to do with information displays (such as folder size).  If I view the root of my hard drive as a list and have calculate folder size enabled, I end up being prompted at least once for EVERY folder I have secured on my system...

This gets rather annoying very quickly, however fully disabling options to calculate folder sizes system wide seems like a major limitation for a couple secured folders.  I figured I'd whitelist Finder then use the menu to unlock folders, however I found when selecting the option to unlock a folder in the menu ONLY opens the folder in the Finder...  Since its whitelisted it then NEVER prompts me for a password making it impossible to unlock the given folder...

I seems there is only two choices here.  The first is to disable the feature to calculate folder sizes and the display of the number of items in a folder below the icon completely, or deal with regularly having to cancel out prompts to unlock folders nearly every time I open a Finder window...  There should be some alternative setting for the Finder that will allow the prevention of the constant prompts without fully blocking access to secure folders...

greg

Unfortunately there is no way for us to distinguish between the sort of access that occurs when the Finder is calculating folder sizes, and when a folder is double-clicked on. However, we do plan on implementing a different mechanism for unlocking folders from the menu item, so that it will no longer do it by telling the Finder to open the folder.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!