Suggested or impractical size limit?

Started by jaylindell, August 19, 2010, 06:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaylindell

I am so enjoying Espionage...it is wonderful! Thanks team Tao.  I have a question about encrypted files sizes.

As quick background, I use my personal MacBook Pro at work for some of my projects; I have a Windows PC there as my primary machine. Part of my compliance with the company's information security policies is to encrypt the folder on my Mac where I use and store company work product. It is about 11GB in size and I am daily amazed at how quickly and reliably Espionage encrypts/un-encrypts this folder. It got me thinking....at home I use a Parallels virtual machine version of my work Windows PC so I can connect to the office and work from home. I would feel most comfortable if I could encrypt that VM, too. So I made a copy of it on an external drive and set about encrypting it. I am now sitting here watching this 52GB file get encrypted. Not surprisingly, it is taking a long time, which is fine. But it made me wonder, is encrypting and/or working with such a large file not recommended or impractical in regular use?

Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.

greg

Hey jaylindell,

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying Espionage! :-)

QuoteBut it made me wonder, is encrypting and/or working with such a large file not recommended or impractical in regular use?

It should be perfectly fine as under the hood, Espionage uses sparsebundles. Sparsebundles are designed to handle encrypting potentially hundreds of gigabytes worth of data without a problem.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let us know!

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!