access encrypted folder from alias

Started by sjf_control, June 23, 2010, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjf_control

I have (or had) a shortcut on my desktop that would open an encrypted folder in my Documents folder by automatically requesting the password. This worked up to the 2.8 update. Now, double clicking the alias displays the error "The alias <whatever> can't be opened because the original item can't be found". I've tried re-making aliases to the unlocked folder, but once the folder is re-locked, the alias no longer works.  Is there a way to regain this functionality?

Thanks.

greg

Could you describe in more detail? I'm not sure I understand your situation enough to give you a proper response.

How did you create this alias, and to what does it point, and where is it located?
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

sjf_control

Thanks, Greg
To be honest, I don't remember how I created it -- its been a while. However, I can create a new one by right clicking on the unlocked folder and selecting "create alias", then dragging the alias to the desktop. That alias seems to point to the same destination the original (working) one did. It points to "/Volumes/EspionageMounts/sjf/4081051816/Acct_Data". The encrypted folder is located in "Documents", the alias is on the desktop.  Hope this helps.  Again, this had been working at least since last December.

greg

OK thanks, I've been able to reproduce this on our machines. I'm not sure whether I can guarantee that we'll be able to restore the original behavior you saw in the previous versions because this might be caused by the changes we made to make SmartMove possible, but we will have a look at this to see whether it's possible.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

sjf_control

Thanks, Greg -- I appreciate your help.