URGENT — Folder disappeared

Started by dafacto, February 07, 2014, 06:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dafacto

Hello,

I had a list of 9 folder, two of which included, "Banking" and "Investments".

This morning I unlocked my folder list in Espionage, searched for "Investment", did "Command-1" to open that folder, then searched for "Banking" and again did "Command-1" to open that folder.

Both folders were successfully opened.

When I cleared the search field, however, my "Investments" folder is completely gone!

I manually closed "Banking", and noticed that the "File -> Lock All Folders" menu items is gray, meaning Espionage believes that all folders are closed -- which means it has lost its understanding of the (still open!) Investments folder.

What do I do now? How do I recover? What will happen if I now log out of my account or close my computer?

Any advice or help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dafacto

UPDATE — Needing to return to work, I logged out of my account and back in. I discovered two things:

1. Content existed in my Investments mount point.

2. The original DMG (stored in Dropbox) was gone.

So, clearly, I somehow managed to force decrypt my Investments folder. Fortunately, I had a backup of the DMG was able to recover by re-importing the DMG into Espionage.

Two comments:

1. It would appear there's a bug that results in force decrypting of a folders.

2. If there is not a bug, and if by some keystroke I force decrypted the folder, then for sure there needs to be a confirmation required on that action.

Hope this helps. I'm super happy with the security and convenient workflows that Espionage allows, but I really hope it becomes a little more reliable in terms of bugs.

zsolt

Hello, so far nobody ever reported this, but then also nobody ever mentioned using keyboard shortcuts, either because nobody uses them, or simply because they work as expected.
I tried what you did and it works fine over here.
The difference is that the disk image is not in Dropbox. I cannot imagine though, how Dropbox could be related to this.

So you manually set the location of the dmg file to be in the dropbox, but the mount point was outside of the dropbox, correct?

Can you please pack the console log file, the one which contains the timeframe when you were doing this, we might find something there which would explain what was going on.

you can mail it directly to taoeffect@macmesupport.com

And in terms of bugs, we are not aware of any open bug. Just yesterday we got info that in some cases espionage keeps asking for password on launch even if no folder is set to auto unlock, and this one I also cannot reproduce, but we accept it as possibility. So we have no open bugs. If you encounter any other, I would appreciate that you let us know.

Rgds
Zsolt

Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

dafacto

I'll try to reproduce the other bugs but here's one that you should be able to easily reproduce:

Put Espionage into app mode (as opposed to menubar mode). Launch Espionage, click into the unlock window, and you'll notice that there's no application menus available. You have to switch out of, and back into Espionage for the app menus to appear.

Thanks for the quick support, and talk soon.

dafacto

OK, here how you can reproduce the first bug I reported — Espionage asking for password on launch.

1. Create a new folder list.
2. Add four folders — F1, F2, F3, and F4
3. Enable auto-unlock on folder F4.
4. Control-click and decrypt F4 (at this point, the list only contains F1, F2 and F3)

Quit and restart Espionage, and you'll be prompted for a password.

zsolt

Thanks, give me some time to check with dev team and I will come back to you.

zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

Indeed it is.
The auto unlock flag is not updated in case of folder decryption or "force removal from database" action.
I will let devs know and it will be fixed in next release, till then, if you forget to remove the auto unlock before decryption, first make sure you do not have any other folder set to auto unlock and then run the command
defaults write com.taoeffect.Espionage3 TENeedsAutounlock 0
from terminal, and this will reset the flag.
Thanks for your assistance in this.
Rgds
Zsolt