Case sensitivity

Started by curiousstranger, March 23, 2012, 05:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiousstranger

Is there any way to enable case sensitivity on the Espionage disk images?

zsolt

Hello,
Espionage is using MacOS Extended file system for disk images. If you would create a disk image using MacOS Extended Case sensitive, then it would be, well, case sensitive :-).
But not sure what is that good for, because as soon as the file is copied on your local disk it is landing onto non case sensitive file system, so it is OK to rely on case sensitivity only in strictly controlled, environment.

Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

curiousstranger

Quote from: "zsolt"If you would create a disk image using MacOS Extended Case sensitive, then it would be, well, case sensitive

Right.  The question is, is there a way to have espionage make it's images be case sensitive?  I'm dealing with data coming from a remote source code repository directly onto my espionage image, and there are several cases where the files are named the same with differing case.

zsolt

Hi, I have to check with developers. I see a small possibility of:
- giving an (emtpy) folder to Espionage to encrypt
- creating by hand a disk image with same characteristics (name, size, encryption) as Espionage did, except selecting different filesystem type)
- disable the folder in Espionage
- delete the Espionage created folder and replace it with the one you created
- enable the folder in Espionage
I guess Espionage would not realize the hack and would accept the disk image as its own (child :-))

I will see with developers if they have anything to add and let you know.

Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

greg

Yes this is possible using the Disk Utility application:

• Open Disk Utility
  • Click the New Image button
  • Change the settings to be similar to these:
  • Then move the disk image to where you want the folder to be and then drag it into Espionage to convert it into an encrypted folder.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

curiousstranger

I'm curious if this same trick is possible with Espionage 3?  Given the change in how the images are managed, I'm a little unclear on how to execute the above.  How can I create a case sensitive image in Espionage 3?

zsolt

Yes it is,
Here are the steps:
- in the finder, create one empty folder which you will later use as mount point, i.e. folder through which you will be accessing the data protected in the disk image
- start disk utility, create a new sparse bundle disk image, journaled, case sensitive, encrypted
- after it is created, unmount it, i.e. select it in the disk utility side bar and click on eject button in the disk utility toolbar
- open Espionage
- drag the disk image you just created over the espionage window, it will offer you to import it, asking for password, and mount point, enter the password you specified during the disk image creation, with the "choose mounpoint" drop down menu, select the empty folder you created in the first step, and you are done.

Please test it with some non critical data first, just to be sure all is working fine.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Zsolt