Failed image and Uninstall

Started by Phaolo, August 24, 2010, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaolo

Hi.  I've emailed concerning my problem with Espionage not being able to open a file due to a failure to "mount image."  So I'll await your response for that question in an email.  In the meantime, I am trying to uninstall Espionage.  I've clicked on "Uninstall Espionage" and the uninstall process begins.  But after waiting over an hour, I checked my Activity Monitor and found that the Espionage Helper was "not responding."    I stopped the process and restarted and I've also restarted my computer, but I continue to get the unresponsive message.  How can I uninstall Espionage?  

Thank you,

Phaolo

greg

Hi Phaolo,

We're not sure what email that was, could you post the subject/title of the message here or reply back to us?

Also, we'll need a diagnostic report to be able to assist you, please download and run this diagnostic tool:

http://www.taoeffect.com/other/TEDiagnosticTool.app.zip

Please make sure to mention this thread in your report so that we know what to associate it with.

Thanks,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

Phaolo

Greg,  

I just ran the diagnostic tool and sent the report.  I included the log which showed the "failed to mount image" problem.  I don't know why the program continually caused my computer to freeze-up nor why it was unable to read one of the encrypted files.  Since the "Uninstall" feature never worked, I finally just deleted Espionage.  Thankfully, I was able to replace the lost files with back-ups.  

Phaolo

greg

Hi Phaolo,

We received a report but we're not sure if it was sent by you. It was sent from a "Paul" and this thread was not mentioned in the comments of the report as we requested, so we're not sure if it was from you.

Could you confirm that this report was yours? The last name started with a "B".

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect

Phaolo

Greg,  Hi.  Sorry, I forgot to mention the thread.  Yes, the report you received was from me.  

Phaolo

greg

OK, so you can uninstall Espionage by doing the following:

• Move this folder to the trash:
    /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
  • Download and install the latest version of Espionage (yes, odd, but a good idea)
  • Open Espionage, it will take you through the setup procedure again
  • Unlock Espionage with the master password you chose, and choose Uninstall Espionage... form the Espionage menu

Now, you may want to hold off on that last step.

According to your report, it looks like you had encrypted the "Main Identity" folder for Microsoft Entourage. You can add this folder back to Espionage to attempt to restore it again (by removing it from Espionage, after you've added it back in).

However, prior to trying this, I would recommend disabling all antivirus software on your computer. According to your system log the folder did not unlock. This can happen for one of two reasons:

• The folder got corrupted.
  • You have antivirus software installed that's messing up the mount of disk images (a known point of conflict with Espionage).

According to your report, you may even have two different antivirus software installed (Virex and McAfee).  I would temporarily disable both of them completely before re-adding the Main Identity folder back into Espionage and attempting to restore it.

If everything works OK after that, you might even want to consider giving Espionage another shot, but check the settings for your antivirus software, and disable any features that sound like "scan disk images on mount" or "scan volumes on mount".

Hope that helps!