v3 with dropbox

Started by gregturnbull, May 28, 2012, 03:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregturnbull

Just read through the protocol and dire warnings on using espionage v3 with Dropbox.

What if I (definitely) do not want to run espionage on all of the 6 machines (macs and PCs) that sync from my Dropbox account?

If I have to run espionage everywhere, AND, be certain to unlock the folder (namely the whole ^%$# 100GB dropbox) ONLY when it is fully synced and locked on all other machines, then dropbox loses most of its fail-safe, idiot-proof backup utility.

Oh, Mamma, can this really be . . .  the end?

greg

Hi gregturnbull,

No, you don't need to use Espionage on all those 6 machines, just on the machines that you plan on using it on. On the other machines, if you don't use Espionage, just don't touch the disk image(s).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

gregturnbull

We are not understanding each other, I think.

It's not just passive backup that I want with Dropbox.
I want to access files, and add files to folders, and delete files, and share files, from multiple desktops and mobile devices.
If the given folder in dropbox (or the whole dropbox account) is encrypted as an image, it would not be viewable, much less able to be added to or deleted from, without vEsp3 installed on the current device, correct?  If so, then I have no further need for espy because to use it is to give up on the current functionality of Dropbox.

gregturnbull

meanwhile, how do I remove (uninstall) version 2?

sjf_control

I think you misunderstand. You don't want to encrypt the whole Dropbox acct. you just want to store specific encrypted folders in the Dropbox. Then they can be accessed from all machines that have access to that Dropbox.

gregturnbull

But you said not to touch them from devices not running esp3

sjf_control

Quote from: "gregturnbull"But you said not to touch them from devices not running esp3
Umm, I didn't tell you anything prior to my last post. I am a user, not support. I'm now totally confused about what you're doing, so I will back out of this thread and wish you good luck getting your problems fixed by the people paid to do so.  :mrgreen:

gregturnbull

Sorry. The protocol (not "you") suggests never updating the Dropbox folder from another non-esp3 device.
I'll run a test folder to check results.

sjf_control

Quote from: "gregturnbull"Sorry. The protocol (not "you") suggests never updating the Dropbox folder from another non-esp3 device.
I'll run a test folder to check results.

I'm still not sure what your issue is. That statement, I'm sure, means that once a folder has been encrypted via esp3, and then located in the non-encrypted dropbox folder, any other machines with access to that Dropbox account should only use esp3 to access that encrypted folder. Other folders or files within the dropbox, that have not been encrypted, have nothing to do with Espionage and are still available like they've always been. So in other words, the "Dropbox folder" in your statement refers to the encrypted folder in the Dropbox, not the Dropbox itself -- make sense?

gregturnbull

Correct. The problem boils down to this: I want encryption on my MacBook pro only. Not in the cloud (unless provided by the cloud service itself).

greg

Quote from: "gregturnbull"meanwhile, how do I remove (uninstall) version 2?

Open the v2 app and choose "Uninstall Espionage..." from the Espionage menu.

gregturnbull

no can do. even with v3 off, v2 doesn't open (even though the icon sits in the menu bar)

Process:         Espionage [42375]
Path:            /Applications/Espionage-2.app/Contents/MacOS/Espionage
Identifier:      com.taoeffect.Espionage
Version:         2.8.13 (2.8.13)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [324]

Di I have to restore it first, or is there a manual uninstall?

greg

Quote from: "gregturnbull"Correct. The problem boils down to this: I want encryption on my MacBook pro only. Not in the cloud (unless provided by the cloud service itself).

I'm also confused, but it sounds like the instructions in Espionage's help are not for you. They are for storing the encrypted data (the disk image) in the cloud. If you don't want to do that then it sounds like you just want to encrypt the Dropbox folder itself, locally, on your computer. If so, then you can use the old version 2 instructions on how to encrypt the Dropbox folder locally. Skip the steps that don't apply to version 3, like Step 3.

The summary of what those instructions do is: it creates a folder called Vault that's encrypted, and tells Dropbox to use a folder called "Dropbox" inside of that as the Dropbox folder. This way you encrypt the Dropbox folder locally.