Some funny behaviour after moving to a new MacBook.

Started by GavinH, November 08, 2013, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavinH

Ok, so I was using E3 on a mid 2009 MacBook Pro and I just bought a 2012 Retina Screen.

I migrated everything over from a time machine back up on a NAS drive and now E3 is acting weird. I was scared something would go wrong so I unencrypted my folders before backing up and migrating but E3 seems to think that I still have an encrypted folder? I get an error message saying it cannot be found when I try to launch Transmission (it used to be linked to Transmission and would auto lock when I shut down the program). Transmission won't open now. I also have a useless icon in the menubar that just has an option to 'open transmission' but it does nothing if you click on it...

Also, this may be unrelated but I have 37Gb of 'other data' that I can't identify that is clogging up my HDD. This couldn't be hidden transmission folders can they?

How can I fix this?

greg

That's cause that's E2, not E3. :)

Please have a look through the Mavericks Upgrade Guide guide. Also, if you don't need to restore any folders, there's a link near the end (in the Cleanup section) to a thread on how to uninstall E2 manually.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

greg

(Congrats on the new Mac purchase btw! I'm looking into upgrading mine as well.)

GavinH

Thanks, I'll give it a go. The retina screen is beautiful btw.

greg

Quote from: GavinH on November 08, 2013, 02:56:06 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go. The retina screen is beautiful btw.

Yeah... I've seen it only when someone else has let me use their computer for a bit. I've got a 2010 15" MBP currently, but have also upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the drive to 500GB SSD (with TRIM enabled). I miss the ability to upgrade their laptops... that's the only thing that annoys me about all the new ones. :-\

GavinH

Yeah, it's a pain. I don't doubt I'll want more than 120Gb in the future but I'm counting on there being a market demand for expert solderers who can swap out SSDs.

greg

Quote from: GavinH on November 08, 2013, 03:07:43 PM
Yeah, it's a pain. I don't doubt I'll want more than 120Gb in the future but I'm counting on there being a market demand for expert solderers who can swap out SSDs.

Yeah, but then will the extra cost of paying for that service be worth it? I somehow doubt it. :-\

GavinH

Mmm, can't find any sparse bundles or images but the icon in the menubar has disappeared since I created this thread? Maybe when I deleted the plist? Transmission works again without error message. Still have 37gb of mystery data on my hdd. Presumably not espionage related.

greg

Quote from: GavinH on November 08, 2013, 04:04:46 PM
Mmm, can't find any sparse bundles or images but the icon in the menubar has disappeared since I created this thread? Maybe when I deleted the plist? Transmission works again without error message. Still have 37gb of mystery data on my hdd. Presumably not espionage related.

Deleting the plist shouldn't immediately remove the helper, but deleting and then restarting will (or, using launchctl to unload the helper, as explained in the guide).

Make sure to remove iSpy as well.

GavinH

There's no Espionage folder in there. I think I probably used AppZapper to uninstall E2. Would that have been a bad idea?

GavinH

Also, I discovered that 12Gb of the 'other' data was back ups of iOS apps in my iTunes.

greg

Quote from: GavinH on November 08, 2013, 04:41:56 PM
There's no Espionage folder in there. I think I probably used AppZapper to uninstall E2. Would that have been a bad idea?

Eh... generally, yes. We recommend using Espionage's built-in uninstaller over anything else, because it will properly uninstall Espionage. However, with Mavericks bugs, that might not always be possible, in which case a manual uninstall is the next-best thing. AppZapper might not uninstall iSpy (it certainly didn't in the past).