[Feature Request] Encrypt/hide a single file

Started by fmcypriano, July 05, 2012, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmcypriano

Hi there,

I think it would be great if I have a way to encrypt/hide a single file. I'm suggesting it because I can't move this file.

My use case is this. I use Sparrow as my email client and on my job's Mac I want to encrypt my personal email accounts when I'm not at the office. Currently I can encrypt ~/Library/Application Support/Sparrow and this would hide Sparrow's data, theoretically. Upon testing I found out that Sparrow keeps the account list in a file (com.sparrowmailapp.sparrow.plist) inside ~/Library/Preferences so even with the Sparrow data "locked" when I open the app it recreates the emails because it access all the accounts.

The idea is to be able to hide this file when the ~/Library/Application Support/Sparrow is locked, so that it only have work related email accounts. This feature could be an option inside the Folder Info (the little "i" in Espionage's window) saying "hide these files when this folder is locked". When locked Espionage would put a file that was there before the lock, just like it does with folders.

Hope you guys like the idea. It would be awesome to me.

zsolt

Hello, your request is pointing into "application association" direction, the feature Espionage 2 had. This feature is under review but there is not release and feature set defined yet.

Thanks for your input.

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

fmcypriano

Deep down it point to de app association. But the suggestion does not require the spy and does one thing that app association didn't.

With app association Espionage asks for password to open the app. What this would do is allow the app to open but without my protected data. Another level of plausible deniability.

And Espionage wouldn't know about apps. I would be responsible to configure "single file associations outside the current folder" thing :)

zsolt

Sure, but your approach is very application specific. But you are right about iSpyd...this is more about kind of setting a set of folders (and files) which should unlock and lock all together, whereas the files should be moved into a protected folder and back, depending on the folder state...all nice as a rough idea but once you go into details it must be simple otherwise you get tangled in all the possibilities... but we are listening :-)

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

fmcypriano

I hope you find a good solution  :mrgreen: