Mail.app mailboxes missing

Started by eloypalacios, July 24, 2011, 12:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloypalacios

Hello guys.

Lion changed the way Mail.app behaves. I had that app protected with Espionage and thought not to continue doing so. In my particular case is not necessary anymore. (speaking of Mail.app)

I decided to remove the encryption via de Espionage.app and after removing it it comes out that 70% of may Mailboxes are gone!!!

If I open the Mail.app now I can only see a few Mailboxes. HELP  :o

Please let me know how to proceed because it will be a huge loss if I can get those mailboxes back!!!

Thxs

greg

Hi eloypalacios,

Sorry to hear of the trouble! We've tried to reproduce this on Lion and we haven't been able to, so we're not sure why you're experiencing that problem. We would recommend restoring the Mail folder (located in the Library folder, which is hidden on Lion but can be accessed as described here using the Go to Folder... trick) from backups. Espionage's documentation on backups may be helpful:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... ackup.html
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

eloypalacios

Thanks for your answer.

By looking at the invisibles I saw by coincidence a .Mail.spb file with 32Gb size.

I placed it on my desktop and droped into Espionage. Typed my pwd. on both fields and boom!!! I got access to all my mailboxes.

I proceed then to manually copy them to the Library/Mail/v2/mailboxes and now I'm back and rolling.

Looks like the sparsebundle image had some problem when decrypting it and only was able to decrypt 20% of my mailboxes. The first ones actually.

Thanks for your help.

greg

Glad to hear everything is working fine! Thanks also for describing how you solved the problem, this helps other users who might run into a similar situation. Take care!

socrates

I wonder if this is actually related to "restore windows after restart" option in Lion.

I had the same problem yesterday after a restart, Mail had already tried restoring the previous windows, before the Mail folders had been unlocked (although it happened very quickly on my Macbook Air). All of my Mail folders were missing except Mobileme.

Rebooting did not help, needed to restore Mail folders from a backup

greg

Quote from: "socrates"I wonder if this is actually related to "restore windows after restart" option in Lion.

It may very well be, thank you for pointing this out socrates! This is an issue that caught us by surprise as it's quite a significant change to how the operating system works. We are currently investigating this issue and recommend simply not using it for the time being. Of course, I must throw in the template "we apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you", but I sincerely mean it!!

greg

I believe socrates is correct. If you are using Lion and are using the "reopen windows feature" that may be the cause of the problem (see this post). We're investigating this problem and hope to have a solution to it soon, and in the meantime are recommending that when you logout or restart your computer, to make sure the checkbox to reopen the windows from the previous session is unchecked.