can't open locked folder anymore - please HELP

Started by cara, October 11, 2013, 06:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cara

hi

i probably did something stupid. i upgraded to espionage 3 (that's not the stupid part  :)) and so before installing it, i trashed espionage 2. some program came up (i think it was "clean my mac 2") and asked if it should deinstall all components as well. i clicked yes.
now i can't open the folder encrypted with espionage 2 anymore with the newer program.

chances are, i have a backup, please tell me if i can easily fix this without messing the new espionage 3 up.

as you can tell, i need a step by step guidance. thank you.  ;)

zsolt

Hello Cara,

Before switching to version 3, you had to decrypt the folders protected with Espionage 2.
Now I would tell you to just download it again, but considering the clean my mac moved some files too, I'm not sure if it will simply run if you download it again.
So I guess we better manually decrypt the folder
First download iVisible from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible
launch it and select "make files visible"
Now visit the folder which was protected, you should see a disk image named same as the folder just with a dot in front of the name. Doubleclick it should ask you for the password you used to protect this folder, enter it, and the disk image should mount like an USB stick would, like an external volume. Now you should be able to copy all the data out.

Once done, eject the disk image, trash the whole folder in which it was placed and in iVisible select "make files invisible". Now you can add the folder to espionage 3.

Let me know if it did it.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

cara

zsolt, thank you very much. it worked just the way you described it. i appreciate your help.

zsolt

I'm glad all is fine now. If you encounter any other problems or questions, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support