Preventing move to trash?

Started by ohofmann, January 16, 2011, 08:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohofmann

'lo there,

currently giving Espionage a try in combination with Dropbox; so far only on a Mac Air used for travel. The limited disk space is causing some trouble. I've moved the Dropbox folder to an external drive for now before moving it into a 'vault'; however, if Espionage also moves an unencrypted copy of the original data into the Trash folder I'll run out of space.

Short of mounting a network volume, is there a way to prevent the copy?

greg

Hi ohofmann,

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding your situation exactly, could you describe in more detail? When Espionage encrypts a folder, it moves the original in the Trash, and if the original resides on an external disk, the "Trash" is located on the external disk (it's not moved onto your internal drive). Espionage, and Disk Utility, must copy the contents of the original folder to create an encrypted version of it though (i.e. they don't delete files as they're encrypted).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

ohofmann

Greg,

thanks for the swift reply. I was actually speculating because I didn't want to try just yet. The Mac Air has about 12GB of free disk space, and encrypting the Mail.app folders (total of 7GB) failed with plenty of error messages (device out of storage space, etc.). Took a while to restore to the original state, so I was reluctant to try with the Dropbox folder contents. If Espionage stores the original copy on the external source drive rather than the standard internal drive all should be fine. Going to report back once I've had a chance to test this.

Cheers, Oliver

ohofmann

Ended up migrating Dropbox using the Dropbox preference settings which results in no backup copy at all (and worked fine, but eve if it didn't it could just be retrieved from Dropbox again).

Cheers, Oliver