Backup of com.apple.Safari, hangs; size seems very large

Started by TnIan, September 22, 2011, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnIan

(first off, am I the only one who gets repeatedly logged out of these phpBB forums? The post I just typed was lost when I hit "submit" and then got dumped back into the login screen, so I have to retype it. Frustrating)

Occasionally when quitting out of Safari, Espionage would get hung up on "Backing Up com.apple.Safari". It would complete eventually, but it took the better part of an hour, and I couldn't relaunch Safari until it finished. I looked at the backup on my external drive, and it was 1.26 gigs, which seemed like a lot considering I clear the cache several times a week.

I quit out of Safari, manually unlocked ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/, deleted everything in it, deleted the entire Espionage backup folder from my external drive, emptied the trash, and hit "Backup Now" from the Espionage menu. When it finished, the resulting backup of com.apple.Safari was 1.23 gigs, even though the combined contents of the cache folder was about 15 megs.

Can you help me understand what's going on here?

greg

Quote from: "TnIan"(first off, am I the only one who gets repeatedly logged out of these phpBB forums? The post I just typed was lost when I hit "submit" and then got dumped back into the login screen, so I have to retype it. Frustrating)

That's odd, I haven't experienced this.

QuoteOccasionally when quitting out of Safari, Espionage would get hung up on "Backing Up com.apple.Safari". It would complete eventually, but it took the better part of an hour, and I couldn't relaunch Safari until it finished. I looked at the backup on my external drive, and it was 1.26 gigs, which seemed like a lot considering I clear the cache several times a week.

I quit out of Safari, manually unlocked ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/, deleted everything in it, deleted the entire Espionage backup folder from my external drive, emptied the trash, and hit "Backup Now" from the Espionage menu. When it finished, the resulting backup of com.apple.Safari was 1.23 gigs, even though the combined contents of the cache folder was about 15 megs.

Can you help me understand what's going on here?

Are you sure it's only 15MB? How are you checking its size? Try disabling the folder using the Enabled checkbox and then choosing File > Get Info on it in the Finder to get its size.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

TnIan

I checked the size by going to that directory, selecting the three items in it (cache.db, Extensions/, and Webpage Previews/), hitting "Get Info," and adding up the totals. There are a few invisible files but their sizes are negligible.

greg

Quote from: "TnIan"I checked the size by going to that directory, selecting the three items in it (cache.db, Extensions/, and Webpage Previews/), hitting "Get Info," and adding up the totals. There are a few invisible files but their sizes are negligible.

Ah, I perhaps the folder had a lot of files in it previously and was cleared out? If that's the case try compacting it.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

TnIan

That did the trick, thanks.