Unable to open Sparsebundle after fresh Sierra install

Started by espiJe, May 09, 2017, 09:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

espiJe

Hi TaoEffect,
I'm running into an issue encrypting my sparsebundle.
I have created a new Sierra OS X install and made this my main disk.
Sparsebundle, Mount folder, and Espionage folder under /Application Support have been copied over to  my new disk.

When I want to unlock my bundle, I get a non-meaningful notification popup in German (my system is German) saying: Kritische Warnung: Freigabe von TEM: Oeffnen der Image-Datei fehlgeschlagen. Fehler: fehlgeschlagen

I tried several suggestion from this forum (TopicID 11199, 10044, 10041) but no success.

I have 1 backup but I fear to touch it in case something will get damaged during my attempts.

Appreciate any advice.
-jens

zsolt

Hello Jens,

With Sierra, there is only one known problem, and this is when the moutpoint folder is on an external disk, to fix it, you create an empty folder on your boot disk and use the Espionage folder option window to point it to the new folder.

However, I'm not sure if I understand your setup properly.

Are you booting from an internal or from an external disk?
Was the folder you protected on external disk or internal disk?
Does the problem happen with each protected folder or only with this one?

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

espiJe

Hi Zsolt,
I have 2 disk in my MacBook Pro. The main disk has been replaced with a new one (Sierra on it). The 2nd disk had my sparsebundle and mount point.

Are you booting from an internal or from an external disk?
I'm booting from the new internal disk (start volume)

Was the folder you protected on external disk or internal disk?
It was on the 2nd internal disk (in the CD Rom bay)

Does the problem happen with each protected folder or only with this one?
Unfortunately, I only have one protected folder.

What I have tested:
a) copied over the files under /Application Support/... AND the sparsebundle and folder to my new internal disk. That showed me the folder and sparsebundle in Espioanage app.
aa) tried to unlock with that setting - no success
ab) pointed folder and sparsebundle to the still existing ones on my 2nd disk - no success.

Maybe I' missing a step. So, any help appreciated.
Tia,
jens

zsolt

Good Morning Jens,

OK, in this case it might be that you are hitting the "external volume mountpoint folder on Sierra" problem.
Please create a new empty folder in your Documents folder on the boot disk, name it anyway you want.

Now unlock Espionage, click onto small "i" near the folder name in the espionage folder list, and using the mountpoint drop down menu, point Espionage to this newly created folder.

Try to unlock the folder now, if it works, you will see the content of the disk image through that new folder.

Let me know if this worked,

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

espiJe

Many thanks,
indeed that seemed to be the issue.

Thanks for this great customer support.
-Jens

zsolt

Great, I'm glad to hit the right point :-)

In case of any further troubles or questions, let me know.

BTW the problem you encountered came with Sierra, I would call it a bug, if the mountpoint folder is on an external volume then Apple's hdiutil which is used to manipulate the disk images, fails to work properly. As long as Apple does not fix this, the workaround I provided you is the only one which works.
Sorry about the inconvenience.