Safe to upgrade to Lion?

Started by Bernak, July 20, 2011, 09:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernak

Hello,

as I have several important files protected by Espionage, I wanted to explicitly ask if it is safe for us to upgrade to MacOS Lion today :)
Keep up the good work.

Regards

greg

Good question! We thought it was safe, but it turns out there are a few issues that need to be fixed. We're hoping to get out a release today or tomorrow (version 2.8.13).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

jbardi

I agree... I have been on the beta versions of Lion for a few months now and the GM build just recently, which is the same build number as the final retail version, and Espionage definitely has some bugs that need to be worked out.  Primarily for me, it does not auto-unlock data folders all the time when it is selected to do so and often gives errors when trying or makes the app bounce non-stop in the Dock as it can not access its data.  Sometimes I can not shut the bouncing app down as it is not really running, so I have to wait for it to eventually give up and just quit bouncing.  It definitely does not auto-lock those data folders when you quit the app.  There are other quirks, but as long as I manually unlock those folders from the icon in the menu bar before launching the app, it is fine, I just have to remember to also lock them again manually from the menu bar icon when I close them again, because quitting an app that is set to auto-lock its folders on exit will produce an error from Espionage saying it could not lock the folders.

If you are worried, I would wait for them to release an Espionage update before upgrading to Lion.

Bernak

Thanks for the information @jbardi.
I did purchase Lion and downloaded the image, but will better wait to upgrade, as I don't want to return to the old days of self-open, self-close DiskImages. Hopefully  a good fix will be released soon.

I would advice to send Espionage users an email to tell them about this issue, as not everybody reads this forums. I am sure there are many who might just upgrade to Lion and find themselves not able to access their data as they use to. Some of us, use our Macs to help pay our bills too :) .

Thanks

harringg

I have a DevonThink Pro Office database inside an Espionage 2.8.12 encryption folder.  Launching DTPO unlocks the database folder (as before in 10.6.x), but quitting DTPO in 10.7 gives a critical error:

"Cant relock folders for DevonThink Pro because the association was removed".

I can go into Espionage app and manually lock the folder.  

Hoping 2.8.13 fixes that.  Thanks for keeping this great application current with Lion.

greg

2.8.13 has been pushed to the site. Tomorrow, the sparkle feed will be updated so you'll be able to update it by choosing the "Check for updates" menu item. If you don't want to wait you can download a fresh copy of Espionage from our site and replace your copy of Espionage with it (then launch it to update).

harringg

2.8.13 fixed my DTPO issues.

Thanks for the quick update!

greg

No problem! Espionage 2.8.13 has now been "fully released", i.e. you can "Check For Updates" to get it.  :D

scottwalter

I heart Lion and Espionage 2.8.13.    All my problems with the old version of Espionage have gone away.  :D

mike

Quote from: "scottwalter"I heart Lion and Espionage 2.8.13.    All my problems with the old version of Espionage have gone away.  :D

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear it is working great for you now.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

Rich-mond

Hello,
I upgraded to Mac OS LION. After upgrading it  reports an Espionage error. When I open a folder and enter a password, the password is confirmed  and then displays this error.

Critical Alert!
Failed to mount image for '___DATA apple' Check the log (see Espionage Help menu) for more info.

Critical Alert!
Couldn't unlock'___DATA apple' because the image failed to mount!

Thanks

marty

Welcome to the forums, Rich-mond!

Are you running the latest version of Espionage: 2.8.13? If not, please upgrade first as there have been some changes made for Lion. You can download the latest version using this URL:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espionage.dmg

Also, does one of your encrypted folders have "apple" in its name?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Marty
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

torgobob

I'm still seeing the endless bouncing issue with 2.8.13 when I cancel the password prompt...  It seems to happen to all my encrypted apps every time in my case (this includes Apple Mail)...

greg

Quote from: "torgobob"I'm still seeing the endless bouncing issue with 2.8.13 when I cancel the password prompt...  It seems to happen to all my encrypted apps every time in my case (this includes Apple Mail)...

Hi torgobob, could give us a more detailed description of the problem you're experiencing? I.e. timing, when did it start, does it happen all the time, only sometimes, when did it start happening, etc.

torgobob

Quote from: "greg"
Quote from: "torgobob"I'm still seeing the endless bouncing issue with 2.8.13 when I cancel the password prompt...  It seems to happen to all my encrypted apps every time in my case (this includes Apple Mail)...

Hi torgobob, could give us a more detailed description of the problem you're experiencing? I.e. timing, when did it start, does it happen all the time, only sometimes, when did it start happening, etc.

When I click the app & am given the password prompt, when I cancel it the app remains bouncing in my dock for an extended period (a minute or so).  I can't do anything to clear out the continued bouncing, and it happens every time for both apps I use Espionage for (Apple Mail & iDocument)...

I can re-run the app but NOT FROM THE BOUNCING ICON IN THE DOCK.  I'm re-propted for the password and can enter it and it will load properly, so the only real problem is the continuing bouncing in the dock after canceling the prompt.

I'm using the most current version of Lion and the most current version of Espionage.  I DID try removing espionage completely (using AppZapper to get all components), then re-installed it as a fresh copy.  This included disabling the compression in both apps then re-enabling it after the install, but the bouncing issue upon caching an app launch password prompt persists every time...