Can't access file contents

Started by samsonite, March 02, 2011, 08:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samsonite

Hi,
I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I've gone through every other thread that looks like it could've been helpful, but I'm not that tech-savvy so I may have missed it.

Anyways, I purchased and used Espionage aaaaages ago, used it on the one file I really needed locked, but now I've forgotten the password to the file.  :oops: Also, I can't find the file - I only have the spareseimage. It's 18 mb, so I know there's stuff in it... but when i double click it, nothing happens (it's programmed to open with DiskImageMounter, which works with other files), and it's probably going to be locked.

What can I do!? I still have my Espionage password.

Thanks

samsonite

Forgot to add: when I "go to folder" /Volumes/filename, it brings me to an openable folder with no files in it. It's 13mb in size. I've toggled invisible files on, and all that's in there are some unintelligible folder names, as well as an 11mb folder called "Trashes" that I don't have "sufficient access privileges" to.

greg

Hi samsonite,

Quote from: "samsonite"Anyways, I purchased and used Espionage aaaaages ago, used it on the one file I really needed locked, but now I've forgotten the password to the file.  :oops: Also, I can't find the file - I only have the spareseimage. It's 18 mb, so I know there's stuff in it... but when i double click it, nothing happens (it's programmed to open with DiskImageMounter, which works with other files), and it's probably going to be locked.

Sparseimages and sparsebundles are guaranteed to be a few MB in size, even if there's nothing in them.

From the sound of it, it sounds like the disk image has nothing inside of it, but I would encourage you to look through this piece of troubleshooting documentation in Espionage's help on how to manually restore from disk images (if you haven't already looked at it). Note that if you double-click on the disk image and it does nothing, that probably indicates it's already mounted. You can simply log out of your user account and log back in to unmount it, and then the next time you double-click on it you should be prompted for a password if it's encrypted.

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

samsonite

And since I've forgotten the file password, what should I do if I manage to get to that stage?
Thanks

greg

Quote from: "samsonite"And since I've forgotten the file password, what should I do if I manage to get to that stage?
Thanks

By "file password", do you mean the password to the disk image? If you've forgotten the password to the disk image there is no way to unlock it (that is the point of encryption).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

samsonite

For the disk image, unfortunately. Sorry for wasting your time - I just thought that because I still have my espionage password, I might be able to unlock the disk image. Thanks anyway.  :)

dave

Quote from: "samsonite"For the disk image, unfortunately. Sorry for wasting your time

Asking for help is never a waste of anyone's time. Staying silent when you need help is a much bigger problem; thankfully you don't have that issue :)

Quote from: "samsonite"I just thought that because I still have my espionage password, I might be able to unlock the disk image. Thanks anyway.  :)

If you know the Espionage password, then you might be able to find the password for your disk images inside Keychain Access. Try opening Keychain Access, located in your /Applications/Utilities folder. By default keychains are hidden, so select View > Show Keychains to reveal them. With any luck you will see an Espionage keychain, and if so, click on it to see what's inside.

If you see some "Espionage" items inside, double click on each one and see if you can find an entry that corresponds to your disk image. You can see which file each one is for by looking at the "Account" section of the item. If you find the item you need, select the Show password checkbox to reveal the password (you'll be prompted for your Espionage password again before the password will be shown).

I hope that helps!

dave

I meant to add that Espionage can use its own keychain or simply use the default login keychain. You configure this during initial setup.

If you used the login keychain, then modify my steps above to look in the login keychain for items names Espionage.

Also, I attached a picture of what one of the Espionage items looks like when you double-click on it to reveal its details. I highlighted the Account section where the location of your disk image is shown, along with the most important part: Show password!

Hopefully everything turns out well. Please let us know.

samsonite

Yes!
After completely giving up, I finally managed to open the disk image using the process above. Thank you very much! You guys offer amazing customer support.  :D

dave

Quote from: "samsonite"Yes!
After completely giving up, I finally managed to open the disk image using the process above.

Awesome!! This is fantastic news  :D

And here you thought you were wasting our time asking this question ;)

Quote from: "samsonite"Thank you very much! You guys offer amazing customer support.  :D

You are very welcome! Thank you for putting a smile on my face :)