NOT LAUNCHING AT STARTUP !!!

Started by acuraice, May 30, 2012, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acuraice

you're very welcome sir!! you knew you weren't crazy by supporting the new version defending it was not buggy and worked as intended,i knew i wasnt crazy defending that it was buggy and wasnt working properly as it should however the real culprit was the older ispy.kext causing all the errors i was explaining about!! i apologize to you i fi have offended you in any way. i did mention in my rants that i do NOT hate the developers in any way and love espionage completely,i just was growing to hate the new version based on all the trouble it was giving me! i apologize again for the inconvenience

zsolt

No offense taken, we are all humans and react like them, and if you lose your valuable data you are not in the best mood. I'm working for a long time in tech support and I've seen this many times. All I can say is that anger does not help to fix the problem. I know it is hard to relax and think with clear head, but this is what brings you to the solution eventually.

I'm glad it works now for you and just go ahead and give it hard time, whatever goes wrong we will learn out of it. Keep a good backup and there will always be a way back.

Thanks for your patience,
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

pierce inverarity

I finally got around to installing E3 and I am having this issue as well.  When I was installing, I did choose to automatically start at login.  It even worked once, the first time I restarted after install.  But after that it has never worked.  

Every time I restart, when I manually start up Espionage to view the preferences, the "open automatically at login" checkbox is unchecked.  I check it again, but when I restart, Espionage doesn't start up and when I view preferences that box is unchecked again.

Per one of your suggestions, I even tried checking it, quitting, unchecking it, restarting, and re-checking it -- but upon the next restart, it again failed to start up and when I went into preferences the box was unchecked again.

Zsolt, it sounds like you've dealt with this problem from a few people... what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Rich

zsolt

Well, try what I suggested before:

launchctl
list

(to quit launchctl just write quit and hit enter)

The in the list output you get, search if you can find these entries:
200   -   [0x0-0x1b01b].com.taoeffect.Espionage3
-   0   com.taoeffect.Espionage3Helper

See if this value appears after you enable the open at login, and then reboot and check again.

Let me know the outcome.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

pierce inverarity

Hi - Thank you for the help.  

1. Checked "open at login" box, then did launchctl list.  It showed the following:
-       0       com.taoeffect.Espionage3Helper
318     -       [0x0-0x24024].com.taoeffect.Espionage3

2. Rebooted, then did launchctl list.  The above lines were both gone, no mention of Espionage.

3. Manually started Espionage, then did launchctl list (without re-checking the box first).  It showed:
307     -       [0x0-0x2a02a].com.taoeffect.Espionage3

4. Checked the "open at login" box again (which was now unchecked as always when I start up), then did launchctl list.  It showed:
-       0       com.taoeffect.Espionage3Helper
307     -       [0x0-0x2a02a].com.taoeffect.Espionage3

Does this provide any clues?

Rich

zsolt

Hello, I forwarded your findings to the dev team and am discussing this. So far all I know is that there seems to be a general issue with login items on Lion.
I'll update when I get further info.
Rgds
Zsolt

pierce inverarity

Just checking to see if there is any update on this issue? Espionage still fails to launch at startup, 100% of the time.  I can manually start it so no huge deal, but it would be nice to get it fixed eventually.

zsolt

Hello Pierce,

The strange thing is that since this conversation, no one else reported this problem. By default the start at login option is selected, so if this problem would be widespread then we would see a lot more reports on it.
If you are willing, we can take a look into this together and try to figure out what is wrong. I would do this over remote session.
Would you be interested in this?

Rgds
Zsolt

pierce inverarity

I think I figured it out... I am pretty sure that it was a startup item associated with another program (Things) that was somehow tripping up the Espionage startup.  The Things item wasn't starting up correctly either... when I disabled that, suddenly Espionage seems to have started working.  So I am all set, thanks!

zsolt

Thanks a lot for your input, and I'm glad you figured it out.
If any other problem or questions comes up, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt