Finder Launch Prompts

Started by bobbd, February 20, 2012, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbd

I know this has been discussed but I would like to suggest a new option if it's possible. I understand that the Finder may want to calculate sizes and needs to open the folder or the arrow may be down. Either of these will force a password prompt. It's one thing to be prompted for passwords, but every time, the help pops up as well, which in my case, doesn't help because I've chosen not to follow it.

Is it possible to detect when the Finder launches and to disable prompting until the Finder completes its launch and display? Basically have an option to blacklist the Finder until the launch is completed.

It would also be nice to have an option to avoid the help popping up and to avoid denial notifications altogether.

Thanks
Bob

zsolt

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your suggestion. I think the challenge here would be to determine when did the Finder _finished_ launching.
What if the user decides to click on one of the protected folder during the time Finder is still doing it's startup business, ie. calculating folder size for example.
He would not get a prompt and that would not be good.
And to differentiate between between Finder file access on it's own and Finder access due to user interaction, I'm not sure if it is possible.
But I will pass this on to development and maybe they come up with something.

Thanks for your input.
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

bobbd

Thanks for the reply. A couple  of things. This would have to be an option and not the default, so the user would know that it was set. Another possibility is to display an alert while the Finder is launching. I do notice that when i launch the Finder, after a few prompts I get the long help message and when the Finder is finished launching, or perhaps there are no more password prompts, a message pops up saying that the Finder has been removed from the blacklist. So something somewhere knows what's happening.

Bob

zsolt

Hello Bob,
Thanks for additional info. I passed it already on to developers.
Cheers,
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support