Using Dropbox

Started by Nayn, February 22, 2016, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayn

Hi, I just wanted to know whether there is anything planned on folder syncing. Using Dropbox with Espionage (https://www.espionageapp.com/EspionageHelp/pages/ex2-dropbox.html) does not look very safe to me... (Especially as I am the user. And all users are dangerous.)

zsolt

Yes it is planned but nothing firm yet. We are considering using file sharing services like Dropbox, or building our own cloud sync. This is all I can tell you at the moment. Thanks for the interest,

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Nayn

Is there anything that would suggest _not_ to set a mountpoint in the Dropbox-folder itself?

zsolt

Nothing specifically, but I might remember we had sometimes in the past a problem with this, I did not test it recently thoug

However, normally you want to avoid problems by keeping the things as simple as possible.

Having the disk image in the dropbox is already adding some complexity to the setup, adding the mount point to the dropbox too adds one more layer of complexity and things tend to fail when to complex.

If the user folder path, ie. Dropbox path to the mountpoint folder is exactly the same on each mac, then it should work in theory.

The best is to test it with some uncritical data and see if it works. Make sure though to lock the folder on all macs except on the one you are using the folder with, to avoid disk image syncing problems.

Let me know how it went,

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Nayn

Hi zsolt, thank you for your answer. I tried it out, it worked. But in the end I chose a non-dropbox folder as the mountpoint. Currently I am syncing several folders/images through dropbox and it works like charm.
M.

zsolt

Good to know that it works reliably, thanks for your input

Rgds
Zsolt