"i Spy not found" error message when I reboot my computer

Started by norm, November 11, 2017, 02:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norm

how do I stop this error message from showing up every time I reboot my computer?

It is a pop up window which says something to the effect of "i spy not found, please reboot..."

Running OS X 10.11.6.
Espionage 3.6.6

I've deleted the "Espionage" from the applications list (left the "Espionage 3"), and deleted from the library:  iSpy, extensions/ispy.kext, launch Daemons/com.taoeffect.ispy, emptied the trash and rebooted but the error message still showed up.

norm

Corrected error message text (I just rebooted to make sure):

ERROR
Couldn't establish communication with ispy.  Error 1
Try restarting your computer and/or running Espionage
OK

norm

I am sorry but I cannot read your reply, is there any way that you can reply to my question in English? 

Actually, when I apply Google Translate to the reply it does not translate at all.  ???

norm

What the heck is going on here?  Is the Tao Effect server infected with a virus, or been hacked?  Are these incredibly long "responses" infected? 

Can someone who works at Tao Effect, a forum moderator perhaps, write to me something in English, to explain what is going on?

zsolt

Hello,

Espionage 2 is not compatible with OS X since Maverick and, we informed all our registered users quite a few years ago.

If you have some data to recover, then follow the first part, if not then just skip to the second part of this post.

There is a way to recover your data but requires some time and patience. First you have to recover your data, and then uninstall Espionage 2. Once you did all that, you can go ahead and download espionage 3 from http://www.espionageapp.com and add your folder back to it. Espionage 3 is fully compatible with Maverick and Yosemite and is actively developed and supported.

Here is what to do:

- download the following software http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible 
- launch it, and click on "make files visible" button (in case OS X does not allow to launch ivisible, you have to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, click on padlock icon in lower left corner and authenticate, then under General Tab, under "Allow apps downloaded from" select anywhere, wait for confirmation window, and then try to launch iVisible again)
- now revisit the protected folder and you will see a disk image inside, named same as the folder name, but having a dot in front of the name
- dobleclick it, it should ask you for password, enter it, and the image will mount as a volume, like for example an USB stick would mount
- open it and you will access to all your files
- copy them out, unmount the volume and delete the protected folder containing the disk image you just opened

once you have all your data back, you should uninstall Espionage 2. You can try either by selecting Uninstall option from Espionage's Espionage menu, or if that does not work, then you can manually remove all the files, here is a list:
Note that some files are in your home Library folder and some in your root Library folder. Your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, hold down the option key and select Library from the list of "places to go".:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
/System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
/Library/iSpy
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

once you removed the files/folder, please reboot your Mac

Let me know if you get stuck.

Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

norm

Wow, before I launched that file you suggested, Advanced Mac Tuneup I looked it up on the Apple Support forums and found several threads there about a malware delivery system called "Advanced Mac Cleaner", which has the same window and gives the same feedback when opened.  I completely deleted it from my system immediately.

How do I know that what you have advised me to do is safe?

I came here asking for help to make the software I bought from you to run correctly and first, got several very suspicious spam looking replies in a row.  Then, those were deleted from the thread and this new reply in English, with directions to what looks to be a malware installation software.

Should I be concerned about what is going on at Tao Effect?

zsolt

Hello Norm, I did not advise you to launch Advanced Mac Tuneup. We are fighting with spam all the time, and it might be that you got an email which was not written by us. Feel free to open a support ticket with us, or send me an email directly to taoeffect@macmesupport.com and we can continue to communicate that way, to be sure you are getting emails from me.

In the mean time we will try to figure out what is going on with the forum.

Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support