I can't paste the password into dialog box.

Started by lifeatsea, March 19, 2014, 08:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeatsea

And I never have been able to.....

I am testing backup files. I have a copy of my sparsebundles on a removable disk.
I click on the I symbol, then click to copy password.
I am able to paste the pasword into a document such as a text edit page, so it is there.

But when I try to open the sparsebundle, I get a dialog box with a window and instruction to paste into the empty field.
CMD-V, or right click---- nothing happens.
I can manually enter the password, but there always are a few characters I can't find-perhaps option or alt keys.
Frustration.

Does anyone know the answer?

Mac OS 6 (pre Mavericks)

Frank

zsolt

Hello Frank, this is indeed so, and it is so because Apple decided to make it so. Why, I was wondering too.
There is a workaround though, by using the hdiutil command, but even this got more complicated with Maverick, still possible though.
If you are interested, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

lifeatsea

Quote from: zsolt on March 19, 2014, 12:32:57 PM
Hello Frank, this is indeed so, and it is so because Apple decided to make it so. Why, I was wondering too.
There is a workaround though, by using the hdiutil command, but even this got more complicated with Maverick, still possible though.
If you are interested, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt

Hi Zsolt-
Thank you.  I may or may not need to know how to do that.
Here is what I need it for.
I am now writing my files to an external hard drive (lets call it HD#1), encrypt using E3
(I write the sparse bundles to the same HD), then store the HD#1 offsite.
When ready to do more work, plug in HD#1 to computer- unlock and all is well

For backup I have purchased ChronoSync and use it to make left to right copies of the sparse bundles from HD#1 to a second external hard drive (call it HD#2)
That is also ejected and stored off site.  (I make the copies after locking the files.)

I understand E3 is writing the location to library/application support/com.taoeffect.espionage3/database
and that that file is being backed up by Time Machine which I have set up to take care of most of my computer- it writes to another external HD which generally is left with the computer(call it TM HD)

So- in the case of Mac crash, I would back up or restore from Time machine and all is well, right?

BUT- what if HD#1 crashes? If I have been using ChronSync, I should have up to date copies of my sparse bundles all set on HD#2.
I would just get an new hard drive to use as a new HD#1, use ChronoSync to copy them over from HD#2 to new HD#1---I am pretty sure E3 will be telling me the files cannot be found.
So This is the question- how do I tell E3 where the sparse bundles are on the new HD#1.

Once I have the answer, I would plan to test that, as well as making certain that ChronoSync accurately copies any changes I make in the files as I work each day.

I hope this is clear enough.

Frank

zsolt

Huh, I would need to draw a diagram to understand what you are trying to do :-)

but if I focus on this: "how do I tell E3 where the sparse bundles are on the new HD#1" then it is fairly simple, you unlock Espionage, click onto small "i" near the folder name, this will take you to the folder options, there you will have a drop down menu for the disk image (location) and the mount point folder. If one of those two are missing, nothing bad will happen, it is just that Espionage will complain that they are missing and therefore cannot handle the folder properly, so you just use the drop down menu to tell him where the stuff is and it will be happy after that. Is the disk image on internal, or some external disk, as long as the path is accessible it should work.

Yes, the best is to test it and then you are sure. If you get stuck, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support