Messed up an upgrade

Started by Vincent, August 24, 2012, 08:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

I think I messed up my upgrade. Help me.

I downloaded the Espionage 2 as a trial. Loved it so much that within 3 hrs I knew I wanted to buy the product. So I download the latest (v3) and when I installed I had 2 icons in the menu bar. Looking on the forums here, I found what files to delete manually. FIne, it worked. I only have Espionage 3 now.

So, now that I have only Espionage 3 it is taking FOREVER to encrypt a folder. I'm talking going on the 3rd hour with little progress. The progress bar is  literally not moving anymore. I think I deleted a crucial file related to its operation.

What should I do?

zsolt

Hello Vincent,

It is a bit hard to know for sure what is wrong in your environment, but we can start with few tests:

- first of all, to be on the safe side, make a copy of the folder you started to encrypt, in case something goes wrong that we do not encounter data loss
- open console and see if there are some messages appearing all the time, which might be Espionage related
- do you have sufficient disk space to encrypt the folder you wanted to protect?
- all this does not make any clue, abort the encryption, restart your mac and create one test folder with a single file in it, and try to encrypt that one, see if that goes well, if it does, try again to encrypt the folder you tried now.

Let me know the outcome,
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Vincent

Thanks Zsolt for the response.

Quote from: "zsolt"- first of all, to be on the safe side, make a copy of the folder you started to encrypt, in case something goes wrong that we do not encounter data loss
I'm good on that front. I've barely started using Espionage so I've got backups right now.

Quote- open console and see if there are some messages appearing all the time, which might be Espionage related
No message other than the progress bar which is clearly now stuck. It hasn't moved in 24hrs.

Quote- do you have sufficient disk space to encrypt the folder you wanted to protect?
Absolutely sure I have enough space. This is my first attempt so I started small. 2GB folder with 150GB left open on the drive.

Quote- all this does not make any clue, abort the encryption, restart your mac and create one test folder with a single file in it, and try to encrypt that one, see if that goes well, if it does, try again to encrypt the folder you tried now.
How do you abort an encryption? I see no toggle or button for that. I've quit Espionage (which took it out of the Menu bar) and restarted.

When the machine rebooted, Espionage was back in the Menu bar, still stuck on encrypting that folder.

I'm at a loss.

zsolt

The process doing the encryption is disk images-helper.
First uncheck the autoopen on login option in Espionage, then reboot again, Espionage should not start now, then start Activity monitor and see if there is an disk images-helper process, and kill it. Then start Espionage and see if there is folder in the folder list, if not then try to encrypt a test folder, if there is a folder then right click in and select force removal from database...

Tomorrow I will be at home and then we can make a remote session and check this out. I'm in GMT+2 time zone, and will be available in evening.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Vincent

Hey Zsolt. I think that did it!

Everything seems to be working now. I've tried a couple test folders as well.

Thanks for your help. Thanks for the offer of a remote fix as well.

zsolt

I'm glad to hear that, I'm sorry it got stuck in the first place, as it is not something users report I guess it was a one time only glitch.
Try to use it for a week or two, and at first keep a backup of the data until you are sure all is ok.
If you have any other question just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt