Forgotten my espionage password

Started by aurora, September 06, 2009, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aurora

I installed espionage a few weeks ago...and have forgotten my password!  Is there a way to either retrieve my password or delete espionage completely from my system without a password?  With thanks!

greg

Hi aurora,

Did your forget your master password or a password to a specific folder? I'm going to assume you forgot your master password for this post.

If you chose to use the login keychain during setup, your master password is simply your user account password, otherwise you set a custom master password, and here are the instructions on how to reset it:

Master Password reset instructions for Espionage 2.8.3 and Later

• In the Finder, select Go to Folder... from the Go menu (top of the screen in the menubar) and paste the following in, then click Go:

~/Library/Application Support
  • In there you should see a folder called Espionage. Rename this folder to EspionageOld or move it to the Desktop.
  • Open the Espionage application, it will run you through the setup procedure again

Sidenote: Do you need to re-download Espionage?

If for whatever reason you need to re-download Espionage, first take note of what Mac OS X version you have. If you are running a version prior to Lion (Mac OS X 10.7), download version 2.8.10. Otherwise, download the latest.

Re-import folders

At this point Espionage will not have any folders in it, so the ones that you've previously encrypted need to be re-added to it.

• If you previously encrypted any applications using the application templates, re-do this using the *same exact* password and encryption settings as you chose last time.  Espionage will not re-encrypted the data as it will notice that it's already encrypted.
  • If you had previously encrypted any folders using Espionage, re-add these folders to Espionage using the *same exact* password and encryption settings as you chose last time.  (Note: These folders will appear empty with 3 folders inside of them stating: "This folder contains encrypted data. It is controlled by Espionage. Do not modify it in this state.")

Registering Espionage again

If you lost your license file and need to re-register, use the "Lost Your License?" FAQ item on our support page. Alternatively, you can copy the file "license" from the "EspionageOld" folder into the new "Espionage" folder and relaunch Espionage.

Let me know if these instructions don't help, but it may be better to contact us via email as that way you'll be able to send us screenshots and other information more easily.

Best regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

mcolgan

A couple of concerns:

1. If I understand this correctly, anyone who can access my Library folder could reset the master password?
2. Having reset the password, what does "*same exact* password and encryption settings as you chose last time" mean? I guess it must mean "the settings for password and encryption", because I've forgottent the password, right ;) But anyway, what specifically has to be exactly the same as last time?

My underlying issue is: are there any circumstances in which I wouldn't be able to recover the data?

greg

Hi mcolgan,

Quote from: "mcolgan"1. If I understand this correctly, anyone who can access my Library folder could reset the master password?

Yes.

Quote2. Having reset the password, ? I guess it must mean "the settings for password and encryption", because I've forgottent the password, right ;) But anyway, what specifically has to be exactly the same as last time?

The password that you set for the folder when you first encrypted it. Or, if you used an application template, re-run the application template and use the same password as you provided last time.

QuoteMy underlying issue is: are there any circumstances in which I wouldn't be able to recover the data?

Yes, this would be the case where you've forgotten both Espionage's master password, and the password(s) to any encrypted folders.

mcolgan

Thank you for your great support; I'm almost there with this inquiry! So:

1. Forgotten master password: no problem, as explained in your first answer
2. Forgotten folder or application password: data can't ever be accessed by anyone, including the owner.

Correct?

greg

Quote from: "mcolgan"Correct?

Almost. :)

Quote2. Forgotten folder or application password: data can't ever be accessed by anyone, including the owner.

If you remember the master password, you can unlock Espionage using it, and then all of the folders are unlockable via the "Locked" checkbox.

So it's only the scenario where you've forgotten both the master password + folder password that the data is permanently unretrievable.

mcolgan

Quote from: "greg"So it's only the scenario where you've forgotten both the master password + folder password that the data is permanently unretrievable.

Which is reassuring.

That leaves just the converse risk - whether someone could unlock the folders if they had access to the user account. If someone has the user account password, and is thereby able to login to the account, they will be able to reset the master password; I presume in that case they will not be able to use this checkbox route to unlock folders set when the previous master password applied?

greg

Quote from: "mcolgan"I presume in that case they will not be able to use this checkbox route to unlock folders set when the previous master password applied?

Correct, they won't be able to access any of the folders.

typewriter

So when anyone can basically reset the master password as he likes isn't the whole encryption senseless?

Are my folders still save?

greg

Quote from: "typewriter"So when anyone can basically reset the master password as he likes isn't the whole encryption senseless?

No.

Your folders can't be unlocked without their respective passwords if the master password is reset.

blink180tone

Please help.

I have recently forgot both the master password for Espionage as well as the password for sub-folders it protects.  I have read the post on how to reset the master password, but I am still unable to gain access to the folders which were protected previously.  Now as I try to gain access to those folders, I do not get a message stating to type in a password, instead I am able to open up those folders but nothing is inside.  Also, the sub-folders to the original protected folder is now labeled 'controlled by espionage', 'encrypted data enclosed' etc.  

Is the data to those folders lost forever?  Do I need to be some kind of renowned hacker to gain access to them?

Please help.  Thanks in advance

greg

As mentioned earlier in this thread:

Quote from: "greg"
QuoteMy underlying issue is: are there any circumstances in which I wouldn't be able to recover the data?

Yes, this would be the case where you've forgotten both Espionage's master password, and the password(s) to any encrypted folders.

If that was not the case Espionage would not be doing its job.

Quote from: "blink180tone"Now as I try to gain access to those folders, I do not get a message stating to type in a password, instead I am able to open up those folders but nothing is inside. Also, the sub-folders to the original protected folder is now labeled 'controlled by espionage', 'encrypted data enclosed' etc.

If you're seeing that the folder is either disabled or not in Espionage. The folder needs to be in Espionage for it to work, and you'll need to know its password.

refuture

This is the only forum post/thread I find for password reset. I'm using version 3.0.2 under OSX 10.8.2. This procedure does not work. After renaming or moving the Application Support/Espionage folder and launching the app, I am just asked for password as before. I have forgotten master password and need to access encrypted folders. Please help.

zsolt

Considering this is an espionage 3 question it will be handled in the other post user made in Espionage3 forum.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

exup

Thanks for the info. Sadly, your proposed method
 goto folder ->
paste "Code: Select all
    ~/Library/Application Support"
only brought me a "folder not found" message.

I tried pasting "as is", as well as without the spaces etc.

I would be grateful for any hint on the matter.
Thanks in advance!