Auto Lock & encryption

Started by Setwalker, June 03, 2012, 07:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Setwalker

I was just encrypting a very large folder and walked away as it said it was going to take 4 hours. I returned 1 and 1/2 hours later and
the encryption had stopped and yet nothing had changed although there was a temp folder on the drive with a partial disk image.
All I can figure is because Espionage was set to auto lock after 1 hour it failed to finish the encryption and left the data incomplete, it didn't harm the
original data but there is a folder for it in the Espionage menu that I can not remove or delete.

Anybody else have a similar situation.

zsolt

Hello Setwalker,

I will test this to see if I can reproduce it, but regarding the folder removal in Espionage, what happens if you right click on it and select force removal from database?

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Setwalker

Nothing happens on a right click other than taking me to the original location of the folder I was trying to encrypt.
If I try deleting it, it says it is mounting the disk image and sits there spinning it's wheels with the progress bar
stripes spinning

Setwalker

Ok I discovered I had my privacy preferences set to log me out after 60 min of inactivity although
I would have thought that if Espionage was encrypting a folder this would not be considered being
inactive. So I guess the system logged out and encryption halted part way through leaving it incomplete and
useless.

The original folder name still sits in the folder list in espionage and I can not remove it and I renamed the original
folder and then encrypted it as a new folder in Espionage, no problems this time after system was set to "not log me out".

I would still like to know how to get rid of the useless folder in the Espionage list.

zsolt

Hell Setwalker,

At the moment the force removal of the folder from Database is not very "forceful", it requires some conditions to be met, like it will try to save your disk image onto the desktop along with the tex doc containing the password for the disk image, this just to be sure you do not lose data.
But this also means that if he cannot find the disk image the removal will fail. In your case it is not entirely clear what does it miss, but in any case, obviously one of the conditions is not met and then it does not proceed with folder removal.
This will be fixed in upcoming version, with the option to unconditionally allow folder removal. Till then, please simply ignore it.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Setwalker

Ok, I can deal with that! Good to know that it was set up to not allow data to be easily deleted.

Thanks!

zsolt

Quote from: "zsolt"Hello Setwalker,

I will test this to see if I can reproduce it, but regarding the folder removal in Espionage, what happens if you right click on it and select force removal from database?

Thanks
Zsolt

Hello, I tested it and it works fine. I set the auto lock to 1 minute, the encryption of the folder took about 3 and Espionage did not auto lock until the encryption did not finish. I even tried to lock it by hand with command+L and the encryption finished OK.

Just FYI
Zsolt

Setwalker

Yes I believe it was the Auto Log out on the Mac O/S that caused the problem, might be good to point out that if someones computer is set to
Log out for security reasons they might want to make sure Espionage is done encrypting or change privacy settings in the Mac O/S.

Thanks