Unable to access encrypted file

Started by blipman, January 12, 2012, 09:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blipman

I was having difficulty accessing a folder encrypted by espionage, and I accidentally removed the folder from the encryption list in the program. When I try to add the folder once again, it acts as if it was an unencrypted folder and I cannot restore the data. I assume the answer would be the same as if I was to move the folder to a new computer with a fresh install of the software, but I cannot figure out how that would work, especially since espionage is not recognizing that the folder is encrypted. Thanks in advance!!!

zsolt

Dear blipman, I already introduced myself in your other post, so I will skip that part. If you did not resolve this issue, please let me know,
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

blipman

Thank you. I am still unable to access the file. Here is a copy of the system log:
Feb 15 22:28:16 brad's imac EspionageHelper[17553]: ERROR (PathToFSRef:160): MakeChildFSRefFromParent returned: -43
Feb 15 22:28:16 brad's imac EspionageHelper[17553]: INFO: Posted critical message: Can't find 'Brad'!
Feb 15 22:28:16 brad's imac EspionageHelper[17553]: ERROR (-[SetupEncryptedRecordTask runTask]:51): failed to properly setup possibly encrypted folder: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Mini/Brad
Feb 15 22:28:16 brad's imac EspionageHelper[17553]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) aclsForFileAtPath:]:412): failed to open: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Mini/Brad: No such file or directory
Feb 15 22:28:16: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Feb 15 22:28:16 brad's imac EspionageHelper[17553]: ERROR (PathToFSRef:160): MakeChildFSRefFromParent returned: -43

And the console messages:
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   ERROR (PathToFSRef:160): MakeChildFSRefFromParent returned: -43
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   INFO: Posted critical message: Can't find 'Brad'!
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   ERROR (-[SetupEncryptedRecordTask runTask]:51): failed to properly setup possibly encrypted folder: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Mini/Brad
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) aclsForFileAtPath:]:412): failed to open: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Mini/Brad: No such file or directory
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) aclsForFileAtPath:]:412): failed to open: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Mini/Brad: No such file or directory
2/15/12 10:28:16 PM   EspionageHelper[17553]   ERROR (PathToFSRef:160): MakeChildFSRefFromParent returned: -43

When I open the drive I can see the file but it, when you open the directory there are three folders "This folder contains encrypted data", "It is controlled by Espionage", & "Do not modify in this state".

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

zsolt

Hello, I assume you can access the encrypted disk image which contains the items you encrypted. If yes, then simply open that disk image, move them into a regular folder, and then add that new folder to espionage.
Would that be a solution for you?
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

blipman

The encrypted image appears just as any other folder. When I open it, there are three folders called "This folder contains encrypted data", "It is controlled by Espionage", & "Do not modify in this state". I cannot open the encrypted image.

zsolt

OK, now that you see those 3 folders, it means that the helper does not run, and that you can manipulate the encrypted disk image as long as you know the password. The only problem is that the disk image is invisible to Finder.
Please follow these instructions and let me know if it helped.
http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... oring.html

Rgds
Zsolt

blipman

Did not help. :( Any other ideas?

zsolt

Hi blipman,
Did not help is giving me little insight on what happened.
Do you see the encrypted disk image?
Did you try to open it?
Did it ask for password?
Did you enter it?
If all is yes, then can you please go to Root folder of your disk, i.e. usually Macinotsh HD, then click on the (normally invisible) Volumes folder, do you see your disk image mounted?
Are the files inside?
Pls let me know,
Zsolt

blipman

What e-mail can I send a screenshot to so that you can see exactly what I am getting?

zsolt

Please open a support ticket by sending email to mailto:support@taoeffect.com">support@taoeffect.com, there you can send file as attachments.
Thanks
Zsolt