How To Restore An Encrypted File To Unencrypted Format

Started by barsoom3, October 04, 2012, 12:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barsoom3

I added the folders on my new HD to Espionage 2 and deleted them from my old HD in Espionage 2. But one of the files on the old hD still says it contains encrypted data. How do I get the folder unencrypted without deleting the data?

zsolt

Considering your other post, I'm not sure what is the situation on your machine right now, but in any case the info I wrote in the other post can just help...
To access the disk image content, you either drag the folder back to espionage and once recognised, you click on the minus sign and Espionage will ask if you want to restore the folder back to normal, or, you can download the ivisible application from this link http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible make the invisible files visible, visit the folder saying it has protected data, you will now see a disk image with name starting with dot character, doubleclick it, it will ask you for password and once entered it will mount like any other disk image, copy the data out and once done, eject the disk image and delete the whole folder containing the disk image.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

barsoom3

The problem I have now is I get the following message on each file when I lock the files or try to perform a 'Backup Now'.
Alert!
Got error 12 backing up
'Misc'.
It's recommended to re-run backups for this folder to ensure backup integrity.

All the information seems to be OK, The files just do not back up.

zsolt

Hello,
First lock all your folders and then go into setting of Espionage and there is a tab named Backup, check if the set destination is valid.
But even if it is, just select a new folder for as destination and then unlock and lock one of your small folders. The first time you lock the folder it should trigger a full backup of the folder. Allow it a minute or two, depending of the size of the folder, then check if there is a copy of your disk image in the new destination folder.
If all looks good and you do not get any errors, then unlock and lock each of the protected folders, one by one, each time allowing a minute or two for backup to complete.

Once all is done, you can delete the old backup destination folder.

let me know if it did not work.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

barsoom3

Do you mean create a new folder in Espionage2 and copy the files from one folder to the new folder and then lock the new folder to get it to backup the new folder?

zsolt

no, no...you are complaining about backup, right.
The backup in Espionage 2, if it is enabled, happens each time you lock the folder. First time the backup will copy the full disk image, later on, it will copy only the changes.
In the backup section of Espionage preferences, you have to define the backup target folder.
So create one empty folder in the Finder, a folder where the Espionage backups will go.
Then open Espionage select backup from the preferences and select the newly created folder as backup destination, then see if the problem goes away.

Zsolt

barsoom3

I used a different folder for the backup and I never get the message that the backup was completed.

zsolt

But were and folders and disk images created in this new target folder?
Is the backup switched on?
Can you send me a screenshot of your Espionage Preferences, Backup tab?
Thanks
Zsolt

barsoom3

I did a force quit on Espionage 2 and restarted it, then unlocked one folder and relocked it. Then I did receive the 'Backup Successful' message. I did the rest of the folders and received the 'backup successful' message on all of them.

The encrypted folders were copied to a new HD and added to Espionage 2 and the old encrypted folders on a different HD were deleted from Espionage 2. The new backup folder is on an empty external HD and is set in the Espionage 2 Backup Preferences.

So it looks like everything is working correctly.

Thanks for your help.

zsolt

Hello, I'm glad it works now. Each time you unlock and lock the folder it will be backed up new, but it will save only the changes so the backup is very quick. You can however check the modification date of the backup disk image and see if it changes, just to be sure that the backup is working fine all the time.

If you suspect something, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt