Chronosync and espionage

Started by socrates, September 24, 2010, 03:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socrates

Hi

I want to sync an espionage folder using chronosync.
I've read your tips page on using chronosync, but want to clarify the following point: "never do a bi-directional sync with an  espionage folder"

Can i therefore perform a left to right sync, and then perform a separate right to left sync a few minutes later, rather than using chronosync's built in bi-directional sync.

What are the problems with using bidrectional sync in the locked folder mode?

greg

Quote from: "socrates"Can i therefore perform a left to right sync, and then perform a separate right to left sync a few minutes later, rather than using chronosync's built in bi-directional sync.

Yup, that's fine!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

TylerGred

Is it a problem to "Allow Package Selection" when syncing?

I have some big sparse bundles and would like to change only whats changed and not the whole thing.

Thanks.

mike

Quote from: "socrates"Hi

What are the problems with using bidrectional sync in the locked folder mode?
Hi socrates,

The nature of the encryption and the sparsebundle is that the entire sparsebundle (locked folder) needs to be consistent, if one tiny piece is out of place, the data integrity is no longer guaranteed and it can result in total data loss for that sparsebundle. That's why we recommend only one-way sync. If the bi-sync sync the changed parts inconsistently, there's no way to recover from this. If you change some files on one computer, then changed something else on the second computer and then sync bi-directionally, there is no way to determine which files were the right one, the encryption makes it very hard to see that.

Quote from: "TylerGred"Is it a problem to "Allow Package Selection" when syncing?

I have some big sparse bundles and would like to change only whats changed and not the whole thing.

Thanks.
I'm checking with Greg to confirm this but I don't think there should be any problems doing this as long as you only sync one way and you didn't modify the sparsebundle on the destination before syncing.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!