iTunes Home Videos Folder- Can't add to it

Started by weasel0, October 15, 2015, 09:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weasel0

Pretty much as the Subject line states. All other features seem to work okay. When locked, iTunes can access the files(though all the previews are still there) and it is invisible to Finder. When unlocked, I can access it via iTunes or Finder. What I can no longer do, it seems, is let iTunes add new videos. I drag and drop to the iTunes icon on my bar as normal, it processes the video files as normal and the pops up a message saying,
"Attempting to copy to the disk "MacintoshHD" failed.
The required folder cannot be found."

It also does this when using the "Add to Library" command. Apologies if this has been dealt with, I only found 6 references to iTunes and none matched this.

zsolt

Hello, you are right, I reproduced the problem. I had even more problems then you, at first, even if the folder was locked, iTunes played the movie from the trash, where it was placed by Espionage, this means that iTunes does not look for absolute path, instead it "follows" the file. Once emptied the trash it of course said it cannot find it, I told then iTunes to locate it, after that it worked fine, but you are right, it was not possible to add anything as it was complaining that the original folder cannot be found...

But, this happens only with iTunes "special folders..." if you unmark in iTunes preferences the option "copy media into iTunes library" then you can keep your videos in any folder you want on the disk, and when you add it to iTunes it will register properly in media, just that it will not copy over the movie, instead it will leave it in the folder it is.
If you add then this folder to Espionage, it seems that it works fine.
So the workaround would be to put all those videos you want to keep private in a separate folder and add that folder to Espionage.

Please give it a try and let me know if it worked for you

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

weasel0

Well, aside from having to change my workflow, this works fine.
I just unchecked the "Copy to iTunes." option and now will just "move" my movies into the Home Movie folder and then drag and drop/add to iTunes and the end result is the same. Didn't have to change/make any new folders. In fact, it removes the step of me having to delete the original location files after iTunes copies them.

-Regards,
-Wes

zsolt

Hello J, what do you mean by DS, and do you have any problems, or you are just reporting your working workflow?

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support